Batching?

Started by
1 comment, last by wodinoneeye 17 years, 4 months ago
I'm looking a little bit into batching triangles for the video card to draw. The general gist that I understand is that a video card is built to be able to render a certain amount of triangles very quickly. Exactly how do you go about setting up batching? I'm not looking for specific code for an API, just generally.
[size="2"][size=2]Mort, Duke of Sto Helit: NON TIMETIS MESSOR -- Don't Fear The Reaper
Advertisement
Batching is generally not to difficult. Let's take a terrain: If you have a 256x256 vertex grid representing your terrain, you could try issuing a set of draw calls using batches of 32x32 vertices.

IIRC there's a number of PDFs on Nvidia's developer site that discuss this very issue - appropriate vertex counts, optimizing for the vertex cache, etc.
Quote:Original post by spartanx
Batching is generally not to difficult. Let's take a terrain: If you have a 256x256 vertex grid representing your terrain, you could try issuing a set of draw calls using batches of 32x32 vertices.

IIRC there's a number of PDFs on Nvidia's developer site that discuss this very issue - appropriate vertex counts, optimizing for the vertex cache, etc.

actually batch of 33x33 vertices...... (which eliminated power of 2 simplifications one way or another)

--------------------------------------------[size="1"]Ratings are Opinion, not Fact

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement