Sign in to follow this  

Warning! Vista, DX10 and geForce 8800 GTX

This topic is 4038 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Finally I have Vista installed and got my 8800 GTX card and was really looking forward to start developing DX10 and geometry shaders! One thing is still missing though, there are no 8800 GTX drivers for Vista yet, not even a beta driver :( The drivers some people say should work says that I don't have Vista installed :) Do we really have to wait until January, when Vista also will be shipped to none developers ? Grrrrr

Guest Anonymous Poster
Not till january, but a few days more.
See: http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35924

Quote:
Original post by Nik02
You will also need to wait a new DX SDK, as the October release doesn't support Vista RTM.
Strikes me that this is the more important point. Even if you had D3D10/G80 drivers they'd almost certainly be for the RC2/RTM driver model which is unsupported by the October DirectX SDK.

Then again, I don't know how much of the October SDK is incompatible with RC2/RTM - might just be the RefRast...

hth
Jack

Nope not even DX9 drivers for 8800 GTX!
Thanks for your replys, I've calm down now :)
I guess it's better waiting for a driver that is ok than get a driver
that hang or crash the computer.

Quote:
Original post by jasonsa
You can read more about Direct3D 9Ex here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/directx9_c/Graphics_APIs_in_Windows_Vista.asp

Kinda off topic, but I read this link. Am I to understand that DX9 will run under Vista? Maybe I just read it wrong when the D3D10 discussion came up however long ago, but I was under the impression that Vista would only support D3D10.

-AJ

Quote:
Original post by u235
Maybe I just read it wrong when the D3D10 discussion came up however long ago, but I was under the impression that Vista would only support D3D10.
I think you're mixing it up with someone saying that only Vista will support D3D10.

Vista is backwards compatible, and can run pre-DX9, and DX9 games just fine.

Quote:
Original post by jollyjeffers
D3D9Ex seems to belong in the Windows SDK rather than the DirectX SDK. here.

Quote:
Original post by jasonsa
You can read more about Direct3D 9Ex here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/directx9_c/Graphics_APIs_in_Windows_Vista.asp

Thank you for the links. It sounds something less interesting than I initially intended it... I can't blame them anyway, it's a perfectly logical behaviour.

This topic is 4038 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.