XNA, Managed Direct X????

Started by
2 comments, last by MagiteK 17 years, 4 months ago
I've heard direct X is a library of graphic specific functions. What i don't understand is what XNA does and what managed direct X is? Is managed direct X, just direct x written with c#? Is XNA a library of functions to interact with direct X? Please help me get this concepts right.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by MagiteK
I've heard direct X is a library of graphic specific functions. What i don't understand is what XNA does and what managed direct X is?

Managed DirectX is several libraries that aid the developer in creating multimedia (which are usually games). These libraries tend to be rather low-level, whereas XNA is a game-creation library built on top of Managed DirectX that is higher-level, and tends to make game development much more simplified compared to MDX.

Quote:Is managed direct X, just direct x written with c#?
Is XNA a library of functions to interact with direct X?

More or less. Essentially: DirectX -> Managed DirectX -> XNA is a very rough representation of how the three APIs fit together.

Hopefully that's helpful. If not, check out Microsoft's pages on Managed DirectX and XNA for a more indepth look at the two.
Managed DirectX, as an API, is no longer in active development. Its features have been largely subsumed into the new XNA platform which is in beta, IIRC.
[TheUnbeliever]
Thx for the help. I think i have a clear a idea now.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement