Sign in to follow this  
Olentzero

Programing technique: Shooting

Buenos días amigos, The current project of my course "Graficos por computador" (C++ & OpenGL) is to build a space scenery where one can handle a space cruiser. The navigation of the cruiser is almost finished and now i like to implement the shooting guns. That for i got a question in the beginning: How do you organise the shots and how to you proces with everyone of them? I wondered if its a good idea to save every shot with its position, direction, speed and color in a C++-struct. Then to save all shot-struct-objects in an array (better would be a dynamic solution but i dont know how to do that in c++) and to walk this array through at every frame. For every shot i add the direction to the position and get therefore the new position. Is that a comon procedure or am i completely wrong;) Muchas gracias para vuestras ganas de ayudarme

Quote:
Original post by Olentzero
How do you organise the shots and how to you proces with everyone of them? I wondered if its a good idea to save every shot with its position, direction, speed and color in a C++-struct. Then to save all shot-struct-objects in an array (better would be a dynamic solution but i dont know how to do that in c++) and to walk this array through at every frame. For every shot i add the direction to the position and get therefore the new position. Is that a comon procedure or am i completely wrong;)
For a simple demo, that sounds fine (you'll probably want to scale the direction vector by speed, and also timestep so that the motion is framerate-independent).

There are various other things you could do, such as making your projectiles a class (by convention) that manages both the state and behavior of the projectile, or using a standard library container such as vector or list to manage the projectiles dynamically. Again though, for a homework-related demo I think the simplest possible solution would probably suffice.

(Mods: I'm assuming the homework-related advice in this post is acceptable, as I've provided some ideas and terms to look into but no code or details of implementation.)