How do I make VS 2005 and DirectX work together

Started by
6 comments, last by Nik02 17 years, 4 months ago
I have huge problems to make VS 2005 and DirectX work together. I have tried with 2 different copies of VS and a number of DirectX versions, with 2003 everything are satisfying. I need some of the debug features from 2005 now, so I want to install it properly. When hitting the "Star with Direct3D debugging" button nothing happens, and running the code with regular debug work in defect ways. Also when installing 2005, 2003 start to malfunction and tells me that "DirectX Debug Service Not Running". Anybody that knows why this is happening, can I change some setting? I have seen people using VS 2003 with the debug features from VS 2005 how do I do that? If nothing else I'm gonna try to reinstall windows.
Advertisement
I believe DirectX debugging is only available in VS2003. I remember reading something from Microsoft saying that they will not be adding debugging support into VS2005 as developers should now use PIX.
Quote:Original post by GaryNas
I believe DirectX debugging is only available in VS2003. I remember reading something from Microsoft saying that they will not be adding debugging support into VS2005 as developers should now use PIX.

OK, could anyone confirm this. How do I debug with VS 2005 and DirectX October 2006.

* I have reinstalled windows XP.
* Installed all the latest updates, patches and drivers.
* Only legal software.
* I have chage the settings to "Direct3D Debug" and "Shader Debugging".
* Common hardware. 6600GT graphic card, nForce 4 mother board...
* I don't find the Direct3D debug button in VS.
* I can't compile with the ususal button, "Cannot open include file: 'XInput.h': No such file or directory".
* Not even the most basic samples work.

Anyone know why or what I should do to remedy this? Is there some kind of setting?

I'm getting desperate, I need some of the VS 2005 features :(

Thanks
what version of vs2005 you have?
Quote:Original post by lulul
what version of vs2005 you have?

I got Professional edition, but I also got access to Standard, do you think it will help if I change?
Shader debugging is not available in the VS 2005 environment. You can use PIX instead (it is included with the SDK). You can use "normal" debugging with DirectX as always.

As for XInput.h, check that the DX SDK include and library paths are set up correctly in VS C++ directory settings.

Do the sample executables work?

Niko Suni

Quote:Original post by Nik02
Shader debugging is not available in the VS 2005 environment. You can use PIX instead (it is included with the SDK). You can use "normal" debugging with DirectX as always.

As for XInput.h, check that the DX SDK include and library paths are set up correctly in VS C++ directory settings.

Maybe I got things to work after all, but the whole code that worked in VS 2003 is now smothered with run errors, everything is upside down, I don't know if I want to :) or :(. Is there a difference between 2005 and 2003 when it comes to the implementation of STL?
Quote:Original post by 51mon
Quote:Original post by Nik02

Maybe I got things to work after all, but the whole code that worked in VS 2003 is now smothered with run errors, everything is upside down, I don't know if I want to :) or :(. Is there a difference between 2005 and 2003 when it comes to the implementation of STL?

The STL implementation of VC++ 2005 is more secure and standard-compliant than the 2003 version. This means that some old methods are deprecated or disabled, and that some syntax is more strictly enforced; both of these can cause compiler warnings and errors, but if you fix all of them, your code will be more portable and safe.

Runtime errors aren't usually caused by switching compilers, but are instead caused by faulty logic in your algorithms.

Niko Suni

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement