Sign in to follow this  
Spherik

Questions on Progress

Hi all, I just have a few questions on my progression into game programming. First off my (short-term) goal is to be able to create a tetris clone, then onto other harder, but still simple, games. I have chosen C++ for many different reasons. Now I have purchased 2 books already - Beginning C++ Game Programming and Beginning OpenGL Game Programming and I have a few other C++ books lying around. Now, im about 1/3rd of the way finished with Beginning C++ Game Programming and as I was flipping through the book I noticed that the last chapter ends with my games still in a DOS Shell. My question is, should I progress from Beginning C++ Game Programming to the OpenGL book if I want to make a tetris clone, or is OpenGL not needed for such endeavors. Please feel free to recommend any texts or advice on how I should proceed to achieve my goal. Secondly, I think I have a problem when it comes to creating my own code. I can completely understand every piece of example code, but when it comes to creating my own, I just blank. Sort of how you can understand a foriegn language better than you can speak it. Is this because I dont have formal training and unique problems to solve. Is this normal for a beginning programmer? Also does anyone know any sites with example problems that a novice could solve? Thanks for any advice anyone can give me.

You could make a tetris clone in text with DOS if you feel that you're not ready for OpenGL and Windows programming (or Mac or Linux or whatever you have). Doing so will teach you how to program simple game logic without much fuss over graphics. So, no, you don't need OpenGL yet. Although, if you want you could go ahead and jump right into programming with OpenGL, but since you say that you're mind is blank when you sit down to program, it's probably best to do a text version first...

About having a blank mind, I can't really say that it's normal or not because everyone is different, but for the most part I think it is. I'll just speak for myself here, when I first got into programming with Basic, I was completely stumpped. I didn't get past anything farther than the Print statement and colored text. It was pathetic. But now, eight years later with C++, I can think up solutions to problems with code.

I think the key is to just keep exposing yourself to code that other people wrote. Eventually, you'll catch on and see where everything fits together.

At least that's what happened in my case.