Sign in to follow this  
idiom

[web] Scribbling site: opinions/ideas?

Hi I've created a site which allows users to "scribble" messages/drawings for each other (and comment/rate these scribbles, etc.). The scribbling widget is done in Flash, and the idea is that people can then embed this widget into their MySpace profiles/blogs/etc., so that their friends can leave them scribbles. The address is www.scribbla.com. I'm basically looking for constructive criticism on what I've currently got (mainly in terms of the functionality/concept of the site, as opposed to the design... I realize that I'm no designer :P. I'll look more into the design aspect if there's any interest in the idea). Additionally, I was wondering if anyone has ideas on how a site like this could be marketed. Thanks in advance, idiom

I think you got something pretty cool going here. I'm very impressed by all the work that's been put into it and, for the most part, happy with the way everything functions.

A couple things with the scribble widget bug me ...

1. Would be kinda nice to be able to change brush sizes.

2. In the color chooser, there's no easy access to greys.

All in all its a great idea. I think that just getting this embedded in a couple myspace pages with an easy to see link to your site would help this take off.

Firstly, thanks for the response!

You can change the brush size by using the controls to the left (below the colour picker is the brush-size changer), though that's not very obvious; I think adding tool-tips when you mouse-over those controls will help.

You're right about the lack of greys, that definitely needs to be added.

It's currently embedded in a few myspace profiles, and people generally seem willing to add it once they've signed up on scribbla.com. It doesn't seem to have quite the 'viral' impact that I'd imagined, though, just judging from the lack of new sign-ups since it was added to those profiles. Then again, it's only been active for a few weeks, so maybe I just need to have some more patience :D.

Anyway, thanks again for the feedback,
idiom