Sign in to follow this  
smerf

TCP thru UDP?

smerf    122
I have a UDP connection established, and am unable to establish a TCP connection due to firewall restrictions. I'd like to (a) do file transfer using TCP [to make sure all packets get there in the right order and such] and (b) to expose a simple web server thru the UDP connection. Does anyone know how I can tunnel a TCP connection thru my UDP connection? Is it possible to accept a TCP connection using a UDP connection [i.e. make a UDP connection emulate TCP or simply act as a pass thru to a backend TCP connection]?

wodinoneeye    1689

A file transfer protocol is fairly easy to do in UDP, you should think of doing it yourself.

The reliability mechanism is easier than for a packet stream type connection because you DONT need the data to be sent in perfect order and the resend can be simpler than a sliding windows/ACK type method.

I suppose if you are bent on using TCP you could get ahold of the TCP source and
rebuild/reconstruct it ontop of a UDP connection (since TCP uses the UDP mechanism). You would then probably learn that you could have done it all with your own simpler protocol ontop of UDP.

Palidine    1315
generally firewalls only serve to block incoming connections. the problem you describe is typically one of bad client-server responsibility division. i.e. you normally want the client to connect to the server and then use that connection to send the data down the pipe; that should avoid client-side firewall problems.

-me

[Edited by - Palidine on November 26, 2006 10:19:23 PM]