Sign in to follow this  

square roots with C++

This topic is 4039 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

how do i use them? i need them for a program i am making, but they aren't covered in the C++ book i have i tried making it by using X^.5 but it just generates an error

Note that although X ^ 2 will compile, it is not a power operation.

^ is a bitwise XOR operation.

To use powers of, you can use pow() from <cmath>, or for simple powers just write it out longhand ( eg: for X cubed use (X * X * X) )

I'll have to disagree, marshdabeachy.

On current hardware, the sqrt and pow functions aren't that slow, and they certainly don't perform many arithmetic operations.

While these particular floating-point operations are relatively slow compared to integer arithmetic, they are lightning-fast compared to any alternative implementation (especially on SSE hardware and the likes). If you need to calculate a square root or calculate a power, you won't do any better than these functions unless you sacrifice a great deal of accuracy. Considering that you can reel off billions of sqrt()s per second, I really wouldn't worry about micro-optimisations like this.

Regards
Admiral

This topic is 4039 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.