Sign in to follow this  
leoptimus

A Free 3D Engine for PS3

Do you have a Developer Box for those platforms?

If so, you should have access to OpenGL-ES for the Playstation 3 and something similar for the PSP.

If not, you'd better stick to 2d since the version of Linux for PS3 may not have access to the graphics processing unit. I'm not familiar with the homebrew setups for PSP but all the same you should start with some games for PC, Mac, or a home build of Linux and have a big company backing you before you try to get a DevBox for a Sony game system.

-edit-
Ogre and the like have OpenGL backends so it should work as long as it doesn't use DirectX only.

But, has anyone the experience of porting an OGRE3D game to consoles?
I heard from someone that prefers OpenSceneGraph instead of OGRE3D because OSG presents less issues on porting games to the PS2.

Ogre3D was un-officially ported to the Xbox (original). Been ported to work on PocketPC (although very slow) (and maybe PSP, I can't recall). Was being ported to XBox 360 (on hold by the porter currently). As far as I know, no one has even attempted to port to PS2/3 hardware.

However, if you have a development license for PS3 I suggest you contact the Ogre project leader for possible porting collaboration. As, Ogre Eihort (the development version in work right now) has had 99% of all license issues removed that would prevent it from running on platforms (patches rewritten, LGPL libraries removed for more liberal alternatives, etc).

Edit - I should mention that Ogre with a license for use with consoles (non-LGPL license) is not free like the PC LGPL version. I don't know of any free libraries that will work on consoles (legitimately). As libraries with LGPL license do not work in most consoles where static linking is required... Not too sure about PS3 or Xbox 360 in regards to that, but previous consoles could not use dynamic libs.