Rendering 3D World Quickly

Started by
3 comments, last by eirland 17 years, 4 months ago
Hellooo, I am having this problem in my program, where if i try to render more than 3 or 4 3D objects, it starts getting significantly slower. The 3D objects are just a buncha verts compiled into a display list and they have textures. When creating the display lists, i use OGL calls, glVertex3f, glColor3f, glTex.... and i use SDL for windowing. Soo, i'm wondering what i could do to speed it up. I know that many other games have hundreds of objects that are being rendered, but are still fast. Please and thanks!
Advertisement
Well whats your gfx card and how many verts are you drawing? Look up VBO's.

NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims http://www.pawlowskipinball.com/pinballeternal

my gfx card is a nVidiaGeForceGo 6800, and i'm rendering a decent amount of verts. Though, i dont want a solution that will only work for a set amount of verts(i guess enough for a nice tree X however many trees) or my specific grafics card.

Are you doing any sorting to group all the facets that use the same textures???

Constantly switching textures can be a performance dog.

Likewise constantly copying data into the graphics memory (from system memory)
can also cause slowdowns.

Backface culling turned on ??
--------------------------------------------[size="1"]Ratings are Opinion, not Fact
Quote:Original post by wodinoneeye

Are you doing any sorting to group all the facets that use the same textures???

Constantly switching textures can be a performance dog.

Likewise constantly copying data into the graphics memory (from system memory)
can also cause slowdowns.

Backface culling turned on ??

Yeah, render-state changes are very bad for performance so you want to group render-states as much as possible. Use VBOs also since that puts the verts in video memory instead of sending them across the bus every frame.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement