Function parameters inadvertantly changing

Started by
7 comments, last by marshdabeachy 17 years, 4 months ago
I'm passing an integer into a function by value. Going into the function, it's -1. However, after the first for loop within the function evaulates to false (the parameter is never touched within this loop), the integer magically changes into 1.2 million-something-or-other. I haven't touched the variable at all. If I make a copy of the number at the start of the function, both variables get screwed up. This is a bit of a burden, because I need that -1 later on in the function. What's going on here?
Advertisement
Can you post code? Sounds like there's possibly an '=' (assignment operator) rather than '==' (equivelance operator) somewhere, maybe.
[TheUnbeliever]
make sure that your variable is signed, not unsigned.
loading -1 into a unsigned variable will give you a big number

just a though
Like I said, I'm not touching the integer at all. The parameter that's screwing up is ignoreIndex. It happens direct after the first for loop, before the following if statement evaluates.

bool TestPlacement(CS200::Polygon2D* tP, int ignoreIndex, CS200::Polygon2D* parent) {	// check for collisions	bool collision = false;	// circles test	for (int i=0; i<static_cast<int>(gCircleList.size()); i++) {		// ignore child objects during collision test		if (gCircleList->parent != parent) {			collision = CollisionTest(tP, gCircleList);			if (collision) break;		}	}	if (!collision) {		// polygon test		for (int i=0; i<static_cast<int>(gPolygonList.size()); i++) {			// ignore self and child objects during collision test			if (i != ignoreIndex && gPolygonList->parent != parent) {				collision = CollisionTest(tP, gPolygonList);				if (collision) break;			}		}	}	return collision;}
And as a sidenote, if I add this at the start of the function:

int test1 = ignoreIndex;int test2 = ignoreIndex;

The debugger reports the following for each value at the end of the function:

Quote:
ignoreIndex: 4307031
test1: 4571380
test2: -858993460

Nice and random.
Cripes, nevermind... I rebuilt the project and it's magically working now. I gotta remember to start doing that when I get these kinds of random problems.
Surreal. Well, good to hear you got it working. I certainly can't see any reason, at a glance, for that to happen.
[TheUnbeliever]
Are you perhaps using Visual C++ 6? We used to have magic "rebuild all" problems with that version. I haven't had that problem with Visual Studio 2003 at all.
Actually, I'm using VS .NET 2003.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement