Smoking and Smokers!

Started by
106 comments, last by T1Oracle 17 years, 4 months ago
Quote:Original post by mvtapia
Next there will be, please don't eat that cheeseburger in front of me, your grossing me out!!!!!!!!! jajajajajajajaja.... Fat people are the next victim and the young generations are being groomed for that.

Not until people begin spitting their cheeseburger into your stomach can smoking and fast food be compared.

Wikipedia: Second Hand Smoking
Wikipedia: Second Hand Cheeseburger Eating
"I want to make a simple MMORPG first" - Fenryl
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Senses777

Dunno about you, but I rather have second hand smoke than a second hand burger. Now I do smoke so I may be biased.

Quote:Original post by Senses777
Quote:Original post by mvtapia
Next there will be, please don't eat that cheeseburger in front of me, your grossing me out!!!!!!!!! jajajajajajajaja.... Fat people are the next victim and the young generations are being groomed for that.

Not until people begin spitting their cheeseburger into your stomach can smoking and fast food be compared.

Increasing obesity causing rising healthcare costs = fat people ruining your day?
Quote:Original post by Prototype
Dunno about you, but I rather have second hand smoke than a second hand burger. Now I do smoke so I may be biased.

I am sure birds would think differently.
I'm sorry to say that I'm a smoking addict. Started when I was too young to know better and now am smoking close to a pack a day. Looking to quit due to chest pains I've been having over the past year (had a chest x-ray, and it all came back negative. Doc says it's just tar in my lungs), but finding it hard whilst still mid-project at work.

On a lighter note, I do enjoy the social side. You meet some very interesting people standing outside having a smoke.

Incidentally, how can anyone say that smoking calms you down, when it actually increases your heart rate and blood pressure (the hallmarks of stress).
I'll answer the OPs question too, so we don't go straight into a flame war or more hopefully, a debate.

I don't smoke, and have never once tried a cigarrete. I'v never been in the "popular" crowd, so I'v really only been offered at most a couple times. None of my friends have ever been smokers, either. You could say I havn't really been pressured or exposed and that's why, or I could say I choose not to because I know the effects. I think it's probably a mixture of the two. Had I been in a group that it would have been very akward not to smoke in, I might have been a smoker, and then even after I left that group I still would have been addicted and a smoker unless I quit. I'm thankful that never happened.

And that sums up my opinion on smoking, it's a harmful and annoying addiction (for people around smokers that don't smoke) that people start for various reasons.

I find it interesting, however, that the things that destroy us the most are the same things that help us to relax. Things that waste our time, make us fat or unhealthy, or eventually give us cancer tend to be things that we "like" for some reason or another. The stress releavers that are healthy for us seem to be all difficult or require willpower, concentration, etc. Running, healthy hobbies, or other beneficial activities are hard but rewarding.
"I want to make a simple MMORPG first" - Fenryl
The thought of smoking always makes me think of my grandparents on my mothers side, who smoked for 20 years but quit before I was born.

My grandmother died when I was 9 of cancer and my grandfather doesn't have the lung capacity to walk halfway across his house without using an inhaler.

Fuck that shit.

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

I have never smoked and don't ever plan to. Having said that, I respect a person's choice to smoke. If it helps them relax and feel good, then that's great for them.

People who constantly bitch and whine about smoking are just about the most annoying types you could run into. Most aren't actually that bothered by the second hand smoke, but by the actual act of smoking. They have their own prejudices about people who smoke which they can't let go off. Its rather sad that they have to take a supposed moral high ground and look down upon smokers. They can't accept that some people may enjoy it even though they can't.

Whats worse is when these people get into positions of power and start pushing their agenda through all manner of exaggerated bullshit. Its hard not to scoff at the anti smoking commercials shown here, its very hard to take them seriously when they are filled with such exaggerations.

Its ridiculous to get all worked up about smoking when there are much bigger health problems to worry about. There is nothing funnier than hearing some fat, greasy person rave on about the health risks smoking poses.
I will not defend smokers like my self, the point is if you really want to save us smokers then make it ilegal... the thing is me as a smoker would much rather have it that way. If I can't have it then I will be OK, smoking is an addiction and is hard to quit.
There is a hard truth about smokers, specially the ones that have been smoking for a long time, they all want to quit to a certain level. A soon as your chest starts falling apart, then you start thinking about it. The problem is that people make us look like some alien creatures that should not be part of society.
About the second hand burger, "BULLSHIT". People die more for eating shit that from second hand smoke and the current brain wash in schools is just that. You just wait and see, In the 70's if you told somebody that "you were polluting someones air" you will get a big F**K U. Give it 20 years until the new kids are our age and you will see that cheese will come with a warning sticker, "EAT AT YOUR OWN RISK".
Marco Tapia
No I don't. And since you asked for reasons...

>> Smoking is an enjoyable past-time.
Um, sure. Maybe for you.

>> It gets you outside

I don't want to get too wet on rainy days. Or huddle in a smoking shelter on cold days. In the winter freezing huddled up outside the doors trying to satisfy an addiction doesn't sound like fun to me.

And with diminished lung capacity, diminished oxygen capacity of the blood, and constricted blood flow due to plaque buildup, I suppose you can enjoy your outside time by wheezing and coughing, rather than doing fun things like playing soccer or other games.

>> makes you feel alert and calm

Tobacco smoke is a chemical depressant. I have often wondered how much of the Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft and the rest of the anti-depressants market is related to it.

>> It also hurts your lungs

Which sort of cancels the affect of being outside, no?

or

>> increases your chance of cancer and lung disease

Smoking related cancer is 62% of all cancer deaths.
Also, smoking is the #1 cause of preventable premature death

>> makes you smell like a rotting corpse

And you think people LIKE that?

>> and yellows your teeth!

Also, causes them to fall out faster with a 20% faster bone loss.

You also forgot serious vision problems, infertility and birth defects, bone density loss, earlier onset of arthritis (you can have pain typing at 30), diminished breathing capacity, increased blood pressure and blood vessel plaque, carbon monoxide buildup in the blood, loss of sense of smell and taste, accelerated hair loss and tons of other problems.

If you smoke inside, you also get to deal with decreased home value due to the smoke getting absorbed in the drywall, insulation, flooring, and everything else. Computers have more problems, the residue eats through boards and makes caps short out faster, and smoke particles get into hard drives (all normal drives have breather holes, you have to pay a fortune for airtight drives) and causes more rapid HDD failures.

>> It's highly social

We have daily MtG games, daily soccer games, a game room (now stocked with PS3s and Wiis), and other highly social activities. And since we don't smell like rotting corpses, we can associate with anybody and not just the smoking crowd.

>> comes in delicious flavours like Mango and Apple.

I prefer to purchase and eat the fruit fresh. It is much cheaper. You smoke 5 cigarettes daily, so probably around $2.50 per day. I could buy three fresh fruit at that cost.

Or I could save the money, about $1000/year.

>> I love smoking, and you should too!

Um, no.

Smoking is a legal drug that when used as directed will cause death and serious injury with no health benefit.

I would take large doses of rat poison before taking up smoking.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement