To make a TBSRPG

Started by
5 comments, last by scorpion007 17 years, 4 months ago
For a long time i've been aroudn a few consistent projects that never got made because they were lacking proper tools. Some of you may know the famous Squaresoft RPG FinaL Fantasy Tactis Basicly its a turn based Strategic RPG, its simplicity and story made it nearly a legend amongst gaming and rpg fans... My personal wish was to make use of that engine, be able to construct something new but with that spirit, however, i never found the proper tools to do so. Mind you that FFT was a really simply engine (Visually speaking) with your 3d map textured with simple sprites, and yoru characters were simple sprites reflected on a 3d Box. Sure the calcuations were more complex, but i cant get to that if i cant get the basics right... So, anyone here knows what the propert tools would be for a project that aims in that same visual direction? I woudl rip the engine from my FFT disc if i could, belive me! in case you never heard of FFT here are some screenshots of it http://87.252.2.163/emulat92130/imgs/psx/Final%20Fantasy%20Tactics%20(U).png http://www.mobygames.com/images/shots/original/1029260729-00.gif http://www.mobygames.com/images/shots/original/1029260609-00.gif http://www.mobygames.com/images/shots/original/1029260516-00.gif
Advertisement
Proper tools? For programming? Your favorite text editor (Vim), a compiler (gcc), some automated build system (GNU Make). Throw in a debugger (gdb), and you're set.

What platform are you on? If Linux, then you have no problems installing the GNU toolchain, if windows, you can get MinGW and MSYS for the windows port of the GNU toolchain (including gcc, gdb, etc).

Of course, you probably meant you wanted a book or two to actually learn the language(s) you might end up using...
Moving to For Beginners.
thanks to moving it to the proper place!

Sure, books to learn the proper languages would be better, and ofcourse, much more usefull... as im pretty sure that arent any visual engines or "drag-n-drop" programs to build stuff like this...

what i could see is that being quite a simple game engine, it would be fun and really productive to produce something along these lines... as basicly, all the scenarios in FFT are just huge 3d Boxes partially filled with "solid" boxes with simple textures. even the characters...
Don't fool yourself, creating a game on the level of Final Fantasy Tactics is not easy, but if you put your heart into it it's possible.

You seem to be to wrapped around finding tools when what you really need is to work. There is no mystical final fantasy engine waiting for you, you have to make it.

Might I recommend Python & Pygame?
From personal experience in making RPGs in Visual BASIC years ago, don't get into making a RPG thinking it is easy work even though the graphical displays seem basic and attack systems. You will have to manage a ton of dialog, variables, and deal with a ton of graphic programming. Not to mention that sloppy code which could cause low FPS or bugs for that matter that could be so bad that you would have to re-code half your game. Or a common mistake by new programmers, they try to code this big game with over 20, 000 lines of code but forget to comment their code forgetting where certain code is.

Take it easy and make a basic game, something like PacMan. Don't make the mistake that a lot of pre-programmers make by jumping over the basics and trying to get into game programming. Soon to find out they really can’t do it, or it becomes a chore and they quit never to come back.
____________________VB/C++/C# Programmer
Arthuros, start by deciding on what language you are going to use. Don't make games yet, learn the language. Find out the best book or two on this language and read them understand them. Ask questions, (not trivial ones that the book should easily cover) and improve your knowledge.

For example, to learn C, the best book to start with is The C Programming Language, by Kernighan and Ritchie, 2nd Edition, often called K&R for short. Look this book up on amazon. See if your library has it, or perhaps buy it. Amazon has used & new copies for $11.
Make sure you at least have this book, don't expect to learn C through online tutorials.

When you're ready for the next step, let us know.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement