If you were going to make a virus...

Started by
29 comments, last by Extrarius 17 years, 4 months ago
Quote:Original post by necreia
I'd make a virus that 1) propagates itself out 2) displays a message on the screen about being infected 3) removes itself completely from the system as discretely and quickly as possible.

No damage -- nothing -- just enough to have people spending hours trying to 'find' the virus.

That would drive me nuts. I go through the same thing whenever I remove spyware from the Add/Remove programs list, just can't believe it would leave completly.
I think there's to much blood in my caffeine system.
Advertisement
I'd make a virus that 1) propagates itself out 2) displays a message on the screen about being infected 3) removes itself completely from the system as discretely and quickly as possible.

No damage -- nothing -- just enough to have people spending hours trying to 'find' the virus.
You'd most likely have to leave something behind, to ensure that the same PC doesn't get repeatedly infected. You could patch the hole you used to get in for example.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."
My website dedicated to sorting algorithms
I'd have to go with the Mac virus.

1) To prove its not as secure as they claim it is, its more the fact its not really the target.

2) To see how the average (non super techie) Mac users reacts to a critical problem, which in my expierence they don't have a slightest clue what to do.

"I can't believe I'm defending logic to a turing machine." - Kent Woolworth [Other Space]

Quote:Original post by AnonymousPosterChild
My virus would force Daikatana to launch at boot.

Winnar!
Quote:Original post by iMalc

You'd most likely have to leave something behind, to ensure that the same PC doesn't get repeatedly infected. You could patch the hole you used to get in for example.

Good call.

Having it propagate on a week timer, with a variable 1-2 day incubation period may work if not going on the 'patch the hole' route.

But fixing the hole would be cool though. Help secure a system at the expense of them learning how to track down viruses!

Edit: hmm, I'd have to link the incubation time to be the same as the propagation timer. Yeah, fixing the hole sounds like a better way to go.
I'd write one that installs a complete c++ compiler on each computer.

You could probably throw in a few interpreters for different languages too.

I hate being on stupid machines that don't have a compiler, how are they considered useful by anyone!
My virus would be very simple and have two simple aims:

1) Change your homepage to the Gamedev Lounge, loading your default browser at startup.

2) Spread to as many other rival game creating companies' computers as possible.

Just think, thread production will rise 128%.
That way, I could rule the world with a lazy, game-creating fist.

Cue insidious laughter.
"..."
My virus would turn people inside-out.

Oh, you mean computer virus? Sit and wait for the machine to get infected by another copy of the virus. Then propagate with minor changes based on differences between the two copies. Yes, my virus would be alife.

Chris 'coldacid' Charabaruk – Programmer, game designer, writer | twitter

I've actually previously given this alot of thought. My virus would do nothing other than identify itself to the user.

"Hello, I am (harmless) virus written by Thevenin (" + my.emailaddressl + "). I got onto your computer via " + method.toString() + " and have root access to your file system and internet. To remove this virus, download Windows Live Care. To avoid future infections, please do not use IE."
Quote:Securty risk: [#############] HIGH

Win32.WoWCleaner.1 has been known to cause human death. For the Horde!

Fixed.

My Virus would turn on all Windows security settings to High, change the user permission from admin group to restricted user.

"after many years of singularity, i'm still searching on the event horizon"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement