Sign in to follow this  
bionic_atom

Mario Clone java help.

Im trying to make one last game before I put down java for good. It's a mario clone. I would like to make an adventure mario clone type game, but was just wondering how I would make the world look like it's progressing. Is that move all objects and background over a bit trick, or a camera trick, or where can I go to learn more about scrolling backgrounds, game objects, characters, etc...? Appreciate and thanks all those for their input. Take Care! c.s. finch

I'm not 100% sure with Java but programming in general you either make a box which can be the full size of the game screen draw your tiles and objects, for example.

MAP:

-------------------------

Game Screen with Map:

###

### = the screen width and height shown, so as you walk right it just scrolls through the map while only showing a certain amount.

However another way could be making the game with 3D and just using a Camera to display a certain part of the world as a time while you walk.

( Please note the above is not code but a visual example without me having to go through the trouble of making visual examples )

I'm also sure there are other ways, however what I have shown is something I personally would use.