Sign in to follow this  
bionic_atom

Maybe your suggestion will help me.

bionic_atom    107
Hello, I am a serious game player; however, I enjoy programming games more than playing them. My favorite part in programming is designing it from the paper really analyzing what needs to go on wihtin the game and what the enemy opponent will need to do and what phsyics will have to be done for it to be possible. However, Im having it a very hard time choosing the correct books to start me off in developing in C++. Im a beginner in C++ for I have only programmed in C++ for bout 2 weeks, but do have a years experience in Java where I made Mastermind, space invader clone, breakout/brick/arkanoid (whatever you want to call it) and Squares. Im working on a mario clone right now to put Java programming to a rest and pick up C++ but as I said earlier having a difficult time in where exactly should I start? SDL? any other API's what books to buy what's the best, for the little money that I do have, etc... Well if you have any suggestions on where I should start with C++ and what books to buy just please let me know, and I appreciate all who has an input. until then... Take Care! c.s. finch

benryves    1999
Bruce Eckel's Thinking in C++ is free to download from his website. I hear good things about it.

If you didn't already know it, Microsoft offer a free (and unlimited) version of Visual Studio, split up by language. You can get Visual C++, and if you want to develop standard Windows applications you'll also need to download the Platform SDK.

SoundFX    188
I personally like the MingW Developer Studio or Dev C++ to do my coding. I would highly recommend "Accelerated C++" which you can find in GameDev's book section.