Sign in to follow this  

need help setting up borland

This topic is 4032 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

anyone able to help me on the borland web page it says to edit bcc32.cfg command wont let me use the edit command i cant compile anything because that command says it has an error please help very very little experience here thanks

Can you run EDIT? Go to a command prompt and just type "edit" and press return. Does this run the text editor? It should.

If so, you need to navigate into the bin directory of the borland compiler installation. Assuming you have installed to C:\, I think this should be a case of typing:

cd \borland\bcc55\bin

This is not the same directory as the readme file that tells you to make these edits.

When you are in the bin directory, you need to then do:

edit bcc32.cfg

and add the lines it shows you in the readme. Make sure that the paths you specify in this file correspond to where you have installed the compiler.

You also need to

edit ilink32.cfg

and add the lines it shows you. Again make sure the path you specify corresponds with the compiler installation.

You should also probably add the borland bin directory to your path. You can either do this through your control panel, or create a file in C:\ called autoexec.bat and add the line:

set path=%path%;c:\borland\bcc55\bin;

or whatever the path to your borland bin directory is. Restart your machine and you should now be able to type "bcc32" from any directory at the command line to get the help screen for the compiler to appear.

[EDIT] By the way, if you are really struggling, Digital Mars have a free command line C++ compiler that works "straight out of the box" without any of the set up complexity of the Borland one. You just unzip it and go.

I'm assuming there is a reason you want a command line compiler and not something like Visual Studio Express that works within an IDE?

[Edited by - EasilyConfused on November 27, 2006 4:02:20 AM]

Dear god. Something is very wrong there then. I assume we are talking Windows (since I doubt you'd be trying to install BCC55 on a Mac [smile]). I've never come across a Windows version that didn't ship with EDIT.

So you don't have a command line text editor then. Hmm. Going to be kind of tough to use a command line compiler without one to be honest.

If you really don't have EDIT on your machine, all I can suggest is you search the web for a free console text editor to replace it.

The alternative would be to use Windows Notepad to edit your C++ files and just have a command prompt open to run the compiler and test the output. Wouldn't be a lot of fun but would work.

However, I'd also query why you want to use a command line compiler in the first place when such a variety of free IDE based C++ compilers are available. I don't mean this to sound the wrong way but you keep saying you are a rookie. If that is the case, I think you'd probably get on much better with an IDE based compiler than a command line one.

I have actually written a console based text editor. You can download it here and give it a try if you want.

This topic is 4032 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.