Sign in to follow this  
Galadriel

How do I make this game?

Galadriel    122
Hy there! First of all , I am not a programmer.I made some programming before but only basic C++ , so I can understand the concepts. I have a pretty good understanding of how a simple program is built and how the different parts interact between them.So I am not a raw beginner , though I don't consider myself a programmer either. But I am an artist and game designer.I design games since 10 years ago and I use Photoshop since about the same period.I am also a 3D modeler. I always wanted to make a game , but never suceeded to even display a simple graphic on the screen. I have projects made by me for bigger and original games (some of them are not so original anymore , since others took over on those ideeas and developed similar games over the years , so now you can understand the bitterness in my soul).But I figured out that I canot make such a game without a team , and since I was unable to gather a team (I did it 3 times , but each time the "team" spread away , since the work was free) , I have made a project especially for me , a project a single guy can make. That project is a card game , like the ones you already know as Magic The Gathering , Yu Gi Oh or Duel Masters.Only that my game is not a trading game. I have simplified it enough so it can be made by a single person. It has a fixed set of cards and a fixed set of rules.The design has no flaws , but I canot make the game itself. I have read a few books about programming games , but not helped much.Those books were treating RPG , RTS or arcade games.None of them was able to teach you a simple concept like a card game. There are a lot of topics on Gamedev.net I know , but you canot read all in order to find just a tiny piece of information.I have read enough and have been disapointed. This is the reason for wich I have posted this topic here.You have experience.You already know what I need.You can point me out to exactly what I need to read. I use Visual C++ 6.0 . My game is a 2D and I want to keep it like that , altough some DirectX eye candy effects will not make any harm. Thank you in advance! Best regards!

rk_theone    100
hi dear!

well i think you and me are on same path. i am writing a doom2 clone. but with md2 models, (later md3). now i am in big need for md2 models and tell you i haven't created a single one yet. if you are interested then we can team up and write the same. i am using c with opengl.

waiting....

rktheone

Aardvajk    13207
Quote:
Original post by Galadriel
[snip]

I always wanted to make a game , but never suceeded to even display a simple graphic on the screen.

[snip]

There are a lot of topics on Gamedev.net I know , but you canot read all in order to find just a tiny piece of information.I have read enough and have been disapointed.

Firstly, I think you may be underestimating the complexity of what you are attempting. However, it would seem that your first major hurdle is getting some graphics on the screen. If you plan to use C++, may I suggest you have a look at SDL.

An alternative might be to look at learning some C# and Windows Forms. You could write a windowed version of your game using the WinForms visual controls probably quite a lot more easily.

Quote:
Original post by Galadriel
I use Visual C++ 6.0 .

It would be very much in your interests to upgrade to the free Visual Studio 2005 Express edition as I understand that the 6.0 compiler has "issues" with standards compilance.