what about graphic designers at ID?

Started by
11 comments, last by shadowisadog 17 years, 4 months ago
hi! this is the topic dedicated to graphic designers at ID and just to know urs opinion about. although i am a bit of programmer in games and i have a bigest respect for john carmack and michael abrash among programmers but my personal opinion is that the graphic artists at ID are much more talented and never got any respect for their amazing work. i still wonder the whole 8 frames created for each angle and each action of sprites enemies in all id ray casting engines. and their look and feel. like cocademon in dooms was as great as cyberdemon ( they always made me run towards corners or medipack) , even quake models were too good. the world designes in old dooms were great so are in doom3. the models and textures are amazing, their creativity always impressed me. like the nukage processing texture is the best thing that shows a hazardous slime. so my question is : are graphic designer not get noticed even their works are main eye candies in those million triangle pumping engines. or the game programmer are too good. and sorry for my English it is not my native language. -bye rksingh
Advertisement
i think no one wants to talk about it.
Programmers and graphics arts are two very different areas. How come you think the artists at ID are much more talented than the programmers?

i said this is my personal opinion but think how many times we create the texture for a skybox.

A game having amazing outdoor effects but without a skybox will not look interesting or will it. look at the models in quake or other id games. they all are more then perfect for the most talented artists between us, aren't they?

look way back in wolfenstine(the raycasting ver.) all sprites were realy good and so were the textures.

It is like comparing spaghetti with french fries :P
HAHA, thats realy cool.
Doom art top-quality? For it's time, perhaps. I'm not getting too thrilled about it though. Especially Doom3: using technology for the sake of it. Way too plastic and dark for me.

Having that said, you probably look from a programmers point of view: you're not familiar with the art side, so all art is magic and top-notch, no matter how simple it is. That's perhaps slightly exaggerated, but once you've done some art and find out some tricks, you'll see through some of it. It looses some magic. Plus, once you delve into it, you probably start to read up on those artists or read their articles. I don't think they lack respect or attention. Perhaps just not in the general public, but then again, ask the average gamer about John Carmack... I know it won't say anything to my brother... ;)
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
I think the artists do get noticed for their contrabutions, after all, it would just be bunch of shaded triangles on the screen if there were no textures etc.

OT: How come no one seems to notice that its spelt 'id'?
Before I started to get interested in how games are really made, I never figured out that they were done by real people and that you can do them yourself too. They just magically got to the store's shelf and that's where I got them.
Sorta like your average food, you only know that you get it from the store, and don't know where it's coming from before that (or don't even wanna know).

And I agree that you are looking at this at the programmer's side. This is also what the graphical artists could ask about the programmers who have built that framework to make their art visible in the game.

And for the most part, the graphics artists are the ones who make the things you see, so they are mostly responsible for the "good looks" of the game.

ch.
To the graphics artist, programming is magic to the programmer how they do the models is magic.

I think graphic artists hold loads of respect whenever a review for Doom 3 was written the first thing mentioned was the graphics. How much more respect do you want ?

Sure graphics artists arnt household names but can you name anyone else from the ID programming team other than Carmack ? Doom 3 wasn't a one man show ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement