Delta time problem

Started by
3 comments, last by hplus0603 17 years, 4 months ago
Hi guys, Thanks for helping me with lost device & fullscreen problem. Am back here with a new problem. I use the code given below to compute delta time, Is it correct. pls help me. I am building a 2D game my anim speed varies from system to system.
const double	g_dMinFrameRate = 1 / 30.f;
double			g_dSlicedTime = 0.f;
double			g_dUnComputedTime = 0.f;	

void updateTime()
{
	g_dCurTime     = timeGetTime();
	g_dElpasedTime = (( g_dCurTime - g_dLastTime ) * 0.001f );
	g_dLastTime    = g_dCurTime;
}

void gameLoop()
{
	updateTime();
	g_dUnComputedTime += g_dElpasedTime;
	if ( g_dUnComputedTime < g_dMinFrameRate )
	{
		update( g_dUnComputedTime );
		render( g_dUnComputedTime );
	}
	else
	{
		for ( double x = 0; x < g_dUnComputedTime; x += g_dMinFrameRate )
		{
			update( g_dElpasedTime );
			render( g_dElpasedTime );
			g_dUnComputedTime = g_dUnComputedTime - ( x - g_dMinFrameRate );
		}
	}
}
EDIT: Please remember to use 'source' tags when posting code. [Edited by - jollyjeffers on November 27, 2006 10:39:21 AM]
Advertisement
What language are you using?

I was checking the current time using multi threaded render loop and had probs with accessing the environment's current time. I was getting jittery movements and such with code similar to the code you posted. What I ended up doing was sampling the amount of frames rendered over a 5 second time frame and then obtained the average frames per second instead. After I did that I got smooth movements again.

Example:

[source lang=c#]        //time sampling used for calcing smooth time between frames used in calcs.        private int timeBetweenSamples = 5000;//5 seconds per sample to adjust frame time slice.        private int lastSample;        private int framesSinceSample = 0;        private float elapsed = 1 / 60f;//target is 60 fpspublic void ProcessMovements(){            #region Calc elapsed time            int time = Environment.TickCount;            int el = time - this.lastSample;            //elapsed = seconds from last process            if (el > this.timeBetweenSamples)            {                float tpf = (el / 1000f) / (float)this.framesSinceSample;                this.elapsed = tpf;                this.framesSinceSample = 0;                this.lastSample = time;                this.allowMovement = true;            }            this.framesSinceSample++;            #endregion}

also when posting code use the following syntax but replace the { brackets with [ brackets:

{source lang=c++} "code goes here" {/source}

It's easier on the eyes.
I think this is more suited to 'Maths and Physics' than DirectX. Moved. [smile]

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

On Windows, you can use QueryPerformanceCounter() to get a much more precise timer. On Linux gettimeofday() will probably be good enough.

The problem is that you don't clear g_dUnComputedTime after the update/render calls.

Also, you probably want to update in some fixed time step. Change the entire if() statement to something like:

double temp = g_dUncomputedTime;  while (g_dUncomputedTime >= g_dMinFrameRate) {    update(g_dMinFrameRate);    g_dUncomputedTime -= g_dMinFrameRate;  }  render(temp);

This will make sure that physics runs at a predictable rate (which means that you can record a game session by just recording game input and random seeds). Meanwhile, it lets rendering run at whatever framerate the machine is capable of.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement