Sign in to follow this  
BloodWarrior

Multiplayer on Bluetooth and J2ME

Heyas not sure if this should be in network but I think its more for cell phones. I wanted to know if its possible to make a multiplayer game with J2ME using Bluetooth. Also how many players would it be possible to link together. What would happen if one of them moves out of the Bluetooth range? Basically each phone would simply send a very small amount of info to either each other or to a single one acting as host. So? has anyone done this? is it possible? If it is I might give it a go to designing some kind of multiplayer J2ME for my portfolio but if its not then ill stick to something simpler. Yours Truly K

It's certainly possible.

How many players is hard to say since these things are usually device dependent.

I imagine when phones move out of range then you'd start getting IOExceptions on your reads and writes.

I suggest you take a look at Ben Hui's bluetooth section for examples of bluetooth MIDlets, especially the Bluetooth Browser for device and service discovery and the BlueChat application for basic IO.

shmoove

Quote:
Original post by shmoove
It's certainly possible.

How many players is hard to say since these things are usually device dependent.

I imagine when phones move out of range then you'd start getting IOExceptions on your reads and writes.

I suggest you take a look at Ben Hui's bluetooth section for examples of bluetooth MIDlets, especially the Bluetooth Browser for device and service discovery and the BlueChat application for basic IO.

shmoove

Excellent
I shall remember you when I own the greatest game company of all times!
LOL... fine I will remember you even if not.

Thanks dude, all I needed was that confirmation. I guess Ill give it a try and if I have anything ill post it either here or on the game design forum.

Ill pm you IF I get anything feasible.

Yours Truly
K