Sign in to follow this  
gunner_uk2000

Mesh (Skybox) Positioning

I have mesh file which is a skybox. I am clearing the z-buffer and disabling z-writes, rendering the skybox, enabling z-writes, then rendering the rest. The problem i have is before rendering the skybox I am trying to move the mesh based on the camera position, ie so the camera is always in the middle of the skybox. I am unsure how to calculate this as i am not sure what point on the mesh is where i said draw the mesh. if i set the meshes transition to: (0, 0, 0) Which of the 8 points making up the mesh will actually be on (0, 0, 0)? Also the points in the .x file are all either -0.5 or 0.5, so would it be safe the assume in my application that the size of the square will be 1?

The position of that mesh is it's (0, 0, 0) point. So if all of it's vertices are 0.5 or -0.5, then the center of that box is at (0, 0, 0). So, when rendered at (0, 0, 0), none of the vertices will be at that point: the center of the box will be.

And yes, the edges will have a length of 1. We're talking about units here, simple floating values. These translate directly from a modelling program to any other program.