Why not C#

Started by
11 comments, last by Ultimape 17 years, 4 months ago
Quote: I think these particular properties may allow managed code to be faster than unmanaged code in games, period.

the main inventor of c# Anders Hejlsberg is on record as saying c# IS SLOWER than c++

though c# does have other benifits over c++
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by zedzeek
Quote: I think these particular properties may allow managed code to be faster than unmanaged code in games, period.

the main inventor of c# Anders Hejlsberg is on record as saying c# IS SLOWER than c++

Where? I would believe he said that generally C# is slower, but I doubt he just said "C# is slower than C++". Promit said "may allow", so he is most likely not talking about the general case. Would you argue that memory allocation in C# is slower than allocation in C++?
The more the program language does for you, the less chance you have to customize what it is doing. sometimes managed code does the management unecisarily, but it is transparent to the coder... where as in unmanaged, it never does it unecisarily, you can code to the lowest functioning demoninator.

THe managment protocols in managed software are blanket management... they dont' change based on implementation of said algorithim. It is much harder to write highly efficient algorithms where you need lower access to the memory to make it work.

Its also a lot easier to fuck up while implementing unmanaged code, though.

I'd just use perl! it has opengl extensions availible...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement