[web] Subversion Running on Windows 2k3

Started by
2 comments, last by Sander 17 years, 4 months ago
Hello, We have a VPS Server, that is our Web Server/ Database Server / and Mail Server. Our Mail Server and Web Server is run via IIS btw. Is it a bad idea to try to get SVN running on this same server as well? I'm pretty sure it only runs under Apache, and I didn't know if there are problems when you get both IIS and Apache on the same machines. Would this be pretty complicated to set up..one thing I don't want to do is screw up our web server. Thoughts..anyone.. Thanks, Kyle
Advertisement
It shouldn't be too much of a problem to run Apache on another port, so that it won't hinder IIS, I guess...
You could also try svnserve, which doesn't need a web server at all.
There are no problems associated with running Apache and IIS provided you don't run them on the same port number.

IIS has a tendency to bind to all interfaces on any port it is configured to listen to- I'm not sure whether that's still the case, but it used to.

The easy work around is simply to use different port numbers.

Svnserve is also an option (much easier to configure), but has limited configurability- it only has two levels of access, public and authenticated, which affect the entire repository.

Also, I *think* svnserve sends / receives source code unencrypted, whereas if you are running Apache, you'll probably want to use HTTPS. If this matters, you should use Apache.

Mark
nope, not a problem. You can run svnserve over ssh.

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement