Loading a stubborn .x file

Started by
3 comments, last by servadm 17 years, 4 months ago
I have an .x file (mesh + animation, exported from maya 8.0) that will only display in the Microsoft DirectX Viewer, and not in all the samples of "How to display an .x animation". So I tried to integrate the dxviewer code into my project, and that became very troublesome, as my project quickly turned into the dxviewer because of the dependencies and extra files it uses. Why would an .x file load in the dxviewer and in no other code sample? [file removed since problem was solved] [Edited by - servadm on November 28, 2006 7:09:56 PM]
Advertisement
I have no idea, but I did notice that your DirectX file has several skinned meshes, that is
to say, your file has many meshes with XSkinMeshHeader data.

I don't believe there is anything wrong with this, but perhaps you should try to export a
single skinned mesh only.

Is there some way in Maya to collapse your model into one skinned mesh?
Thank you for the reply, i'm thinking it may be a problem if there is more than one mesh, maybe the programs are just taking the first one from the file. I'm not sure about the collapsing procedure, i think i have to do it before I attach the skeleton, i'll try it and see how it goes.
Well, not specifically a mesh, it's called a skinned mesh. Basically, a mesh with bones and weighted vertices.
If it's not a skinned mesh, then it would be a rigid/static mesh. Your problem might have to do with exporting
out multiple skinned meshes, not the other type.

I don't use Maya, so I don't know what commands are available to convert/collapse your model into a
single skinned mesh.
thanks, now after two weeks of searching i can put the issue to rest =).

The problem was indeed having multiple meshes, DXViewer somehow merges them all together, but normal loaders don't (and shouldn't i guess). In maya i had to go back to the model pre-skeleton, collapse the polygons into one set, and delete the history, then remade the skeleton and it worked well. I used these instructions to see where the commands were.

http://mentallic.planetunreal.gamespy.com/Tutorial/Tute1Page4.html said:
Now, we need to combine the Eye and Head to each other, then merge the verticies. Select the Eye and the Main Half and go Polygons>Combine. Now your Main Half and Eye are one object, but the Instanced Duplicate has disappeared, unfourtunately, that's just something that happens. You'll need to create a nother Instanced Duplicate in a second, but first, look in the Outliner, and notice there's now 4 objects. The three with the white symbol represent the input nodes of the three objects you combined. Just select the new object and delete the History by going Edit>Delete by Type>Delete History

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement