[web] Need feedback re:Pros/Cons of PHP/Post NUKE

Started by
4 comments, last by Sander 17 years, 4 months ago
As the subject says I'm trying to decide on which of these to go with. Currently my site is handbombed in .PHP .CGI and .HTML and .SHTML Site is http://www.aakrana.com I can code HTML and stuff by hand fairly easily so the actual look of the NUKE templates arent a concern I will have my way with them when Im done ;) I'm more concerned with security and performance. Things I am looking for: - a random screenshot section on the front page - a more updated navigation menu - a better news script - a news archive - a gallery thats viewable but allows dev accounts to upload - an upload section mod for files - a profile mod for developers to put up info and links about themselves - security (dont want to be introducing buggy and vulnerable holes to the site) Thank you in advance for your feedback and suggestions.

Mark MacPherson
Flybynight Studios: Owner
Current Skillsets: Project Manager - Team Lead - Scripter - 2D Artwork - Basic 3D Modeller - Web Development - Marketing - Administration

Advertisement
Stay far away from nuke. It's a steaming pile of eh... security holes. It has gotten somewhat better over the years but not enought. If you want an open source CMS, have a look at:

Joomla, Drupal, Mambo or Xoops. Sites have also used Wiki's as CMS's with various degrees of success (e.g. check ubuntu.com or gnome.org for a good example of a Wiki-as-a-CMS).

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

Thanks for the feedback Sander. That's the kind of info I was looking for. I know nuke is years old but because I shied away from it I was never really aware of its current status.

I'll check out those suggestions you made. Thanks

Mark

Mark MacPherson
Current Skillsets: Project Manager - Team Lead - Scripter - 2D Artwork - Basic 3D Modeller - Web Development - Marketing - Administration

The advantages are:

- Supposedly flexibility but the system it uses for configuration is more arcane than the 37th annual arcane wizards' meeting when they accidentally opened a portal to the dimension of arcane
- Erm, well, I suppose you don't have to pay for it
- For extortionists, spammers etc, their advantages is that they can take over your server and add it to their zombie network.

The disadvantages are

- Cryptic configuration system
- Woeful security record
- Looks horrible by default
- Code is unmaintainable gobbledygook.

Mark
At a quick glance over the alternatives suggested above I am leaning towards Xoop.. Only for the fact that it seems less processor intensive. The others all have inherantly high processor usage. Joomla, although it looks very nice, is a self proclaimed CPU hog and recomends a dedicated server hosting package. Shared server hosting will start causing problems with approx 5 requests per second.

My issue is that we are approaching alpha/beta stages and can easily have 50-100 people online. If the server drops or something happens we can get hammered by a couple hundred people trying to find out whats what. So processor cycles are important to me.

I'll keep digging. Fact is maybe PhP on a static HTML page is really my only proper solution. There are enough cgi and PHP scripts around to handle the galleries and uploading etc.. It's just old tech.

Oh well =)

Mark MacPherson

If you're going the PHP way and do it yourself, definately look at Smarty, a great templating engine helping you separate PHP and HTML. If you turn on all the caching options it hardly uses any processing power.

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement