EWQL Silver...what sequencer to use?

Started by
12 comments, last by Brian Timmons 17 years, 4 months ago
Hey everyone! It's been a while since I've posted here, I can see I've missed a lot. Been settling into a new job, making ends meet, etc. I'm looking at the EWQL Silver Bundle for my "biggie" and perhaps "only" Christmas wish item this year. I love how it sounds, and all the articulations, percussion banks, and choirs is enough to get a guy all hot and bothered. It's got a great price for now, like on this page... http://www.soundsonline.com/EWQLSO-Silver-Bundle-pr-EW-161PROB1.html ...But for the last year I've been using the Garritan Personal Orchestra in conjunction with Overture, the somewhat obscure notation software that the GPO comes bundled with. I've gotten used to Overture and all its quirks, but would it work well with EWQL Silver? Should I man up and save for Sibelius or Finale, too? Thanks, Brian
_____________________Brian Timmons, ComposerMy Music
Advertisement
I personally use Sonar 4 studio at home and Logic 6 at work. I'd recommend one of those. Sonar, for me, has better features and works better....but that is probably because I started on Cakewalk. Both programs are great- and very powerful!

And yes, East West rocks. I have three of their samplers and love each one!

Hope that helps!

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Nathan...how easy do you think it would be to set up EastWest Silver or even Gold into notational software, such as Finale?

Thanks,

-R
Rain 7 brings up a good point, one that I should have mentioned in the original post...

I prefer sequencers that use traditional notation in their primary interface. I'm an old school kinda guy, I have to have the sheet music in front of me. I've gotten used to controlling dynamics by tweaking note velocity and modulation in Overture's graphic window, which then utilizes the "piano roll" view for the nitpicky editing.

I need a program that can score for full orchestra, and play back the full orchestra simultaneously from the samples. Since Overture does this pretty well with GPO, would I even need to switch at all?

Thanks for the help,
Brian
To be honest, I haven't tried yet. When I purchased the Finale 06 upgrade, I was told that you could import other sound libraries into Finale like EW or VSL. If I'm using Finale to write, I usually focusing on the notation aspect more than the sounds. THe GPO sounds....decent, so I just focus on getting the music just right. Then I export the MIDI into Sonar- load in the right patches I want...and BAM!!! Well...maybe not BAM...but that is the process I've used in the past.

I can look it up tonight at home and post my findings tomorrow if needed.

Nate

Nathan Madsen
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Thanks for the input, Nathan! I can see using GPO as a tool for sketching stuff out, but for now it's the end-all be-all for my technology limitations. I tend to do a brief sketch with piano, then I set to the nitpicky orchestration and spend a lot of time with it. I like to have a close approximation to the final product as I'm writing it. It really helps inspire me, you know? Instead of thinking, "This clunky piano melody it's going to be a really ripping trombone passage when I'm done", it's nice to hear it take shape as I go. Perhaps my fault is focusing on orchestration too early in the game when I should be focusing on melody and voice leading. There's just many times when I'm trying to compose and all I hear is pure texture. It's a hurdle I have to get around, and I think I'm obssessing over it because I can't get the exact sound I want from the GPO, so I tweak it to death and waste my time when I could be doing proper composing.

Brian
One more thing...

The more investigating I'm doing into this, it seems I need to just upgrade to Sibelius for composing/playback. Does anyone have experience with Sibelius and EWQL they could share? Hopefully their respective interfaces are somewhat intuitive to use.

Brian
If you want some help connecting the EW Silver to a notation program, drop me an e-mail, I can assist you.

Silver is a nice program. You will get hooked to it, and want to buy gold :)
Sean Beeson | Composer for Media
www.seanbeeson.com
Sean,

I may need some help in the future, but I haven't upgraded libraries yet. Thanks for the offer, though! I'll probably end up taking you up on it, rather than plowing through the interface myself with brute force and stupidity.

Brian
I'm a big fan of the brute force and stupidity myself! :)

I don't know how many times I'll be working on something (usually hands-on types of jobs) and I'll be griping about how stupid the designers were that put whatever I'm working on together. I'll grip on and on- try brute force and get all sweaty...usually only to find out I was the one trying to assemble it incorrectly. :) Usually because I only scanned the directions instead of actually reading them!!!

I know...I know...I'm a nerd that way. But hey- makes for good conversation!

:) Have a great day guys!

Nate

Nathan Madsen
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement