How many dimensions can you have in a game?

Started by
22 comments, last by JBourrie 17 years, 4 months ago
I was thinking about this the other day and I wondered about how many dimensions you could put in a game before it becomes too complicated. The standard three dimensions are length,width and height. This is what the user sees. So the limit is 3 to the user. What if there are more dimension actually in the game logic like: time,magic or something else. I was wondering about the affect that this would have on the game and whether anything new and innovative would come out of having something like 5 dimensions in a game and only objects of similar dimensions could affect each other. What do you think should be the limit of 'dimensions'in a computer game?
Advertisement
If I remember correctly, there is a blinx game on the x-box where you can manipulate time (4th dimension?). And Prey has something similar going on with dimensions, don't know exactly.. So I have no idea how many dimensions you could put in a game, but I do know that it IS an option, and it can be a really cool/important feature of the game =]
-I cna type 500 wrods pre secnod.
You could even have something visual in more than three dimensions. If you convert it to be displayed in three dimensions, it might look a bit funny though. Just grab a decent math book, and you'll find something about coordinates in the eigth dimension or so ;)
Check this out.

Its a 4d rubix cube. There is also a link to a 5d version on the site.

Not so easy to get your head around though :)

//Emil
Emil Jonssonvild
There exist acceleration structures in Ray Tracing with >3 dimensions (e.g. a 3d-space + 1d-time kd-tree, and I've glimpsed on a 5d kd-tree some time ago, and I've heard of (afair) 6d years ago on flipcode, and in maths and thus math-programming (maybe), there are those infernal Sedenions).

sorry, you were asking on 3+ dimensions in gaming, am spamming to much :(
What do you mean by a "dimension"? Mathematically speaking, HP, MP, XP, and skill levels are all extra dimensions.
even the color on the screen and the game time are dimensions.

Super Mario Brothers is truely a 3-d game due to a time element. If none of the enemies moved, then it could be considered 2-d.
[s]I am a signature virus. Please add me to your signature so that I may multiply.[/s]I am a signature anti-virus. Please use me to remove your signature virus.
i think they decided that the 4-d in gaming was complex shadowing .. because they have no hieght or would that be comsidered 2d... all i know is that they have a 4d
Quote:Original post by cannonicus
Check this out.

Its a 4d rubix cube. There is also a link to a 5d version on the site.

Not so easy to get your head around though :)

//Emil

That picture doesnt look right( http://www.superliminal.com/cube/cube.gif ). Shouldnt th 4D rubik have each of the 6 lobes be its own rubics cube (dif color on each face) and to solve it you have to get solid color on each face of the super cube (and probably not have a center cube....) ?????

--------------------------------------------[size="1"]Ratings are Opinion, not Fact

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement