.NET framework in games

Started by
2 comments, last by daviangel 17 years, 4 months ago
Hello, I was just wondering if someone please could tell me about the .NET framework in game programing. We're running a little project here and found a solution to most of our communication problems within the game, that is use web techniques since we got the expertis and know very well how to set up a com.interface with the .NET framework (2.0). Is it possible to include .NET in games, is it common today? I read a lot about the new XNA by Microsoft and also read that Halo 2 uses a kind of the .NET framework within the game in order to establish connections towards servers. My goal is to upload stats from my game and at the same time download these stats from a web page so the gamers can see each others score boards within the game. Is this possible and how? Anyone knows? Best regards, H
Advertisement
You can ship the redistributable files for the framework with your game and have it installed as part of your installation phase.

Uploading statistics to a "scoreboard" server is certainly possible, although probably something you'd want to ask about in the multiplayer/networking forum -- they'd know more about the various methods and potential security issues there.
You can include .Net by shipping or providing a link to the framework redistributable (about 20MB, free download from Microsoft). If you're using 1.1, it comes with Win XP SP2 and so it's on a reasonable number of new computers already. If you want to use 2.0 you're talking about installing the Framework on the computer of your user in many cases.

Downloading stats can be done through HTTP easily enough if you own a web server to put your database on. Uploading scores can be done in a similar way but if you're using .Net it is hard to prevent people from hacking your game and submitting bogus scores. If you want a good answer to that problem I think Multiplayer & Networking is the place to ask. But yes, it's possible.
Is it possible? certainly
Is it common? Not really as far as I know there are only a handful of commercial games that use .NET. That's the only reason MDX 1.1 is still supported since there was actually some games released that use it.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement