Started by
24 comments, last by su 17 years, 4 months ago
Quote:Original post by Chokki
"John Romero's about to make you his bitch."
-Daikatana

Thread = over.
Chokki = very yes.
Advertisement
I don't find those quotes unexpected at all. Religion has always been used as a justification for things that would otherwise be ridiculed. This has gotten less prevelent in modern society, but Hitler was still aware of this.

Regardless of whether or not his actions were supported or condemned by the religion he manipulated and the god it worships, people still followed him. Hitler was no idiot, he knew how to get to people and make them his servants regardless of their personal beliefs.

Bin Laden uses Islam to gather support for his crimes. Bush used christianity to gather support for Iraq. Why then, is it surprising that Hitler would invoke God to gather support for mass murder and war?
hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- the fear of big words
Quote:Original post by Anon Mike
Those quotes are in need of some context. Politicians speak to thier audience, not from thier beliefs.

That's generally true but it doesn't absolve them of responsiblity for what they say.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Quote:Original post by SticksandStones
I don't find those quotes unexpected at all. Religion has always been used as a justification for things that would otherwise be ridiculed.

Its not surprising to me a bit either.

In fact, if you can show me a madman who is not under the influence of religion, then that would surprise me.
'I'm honored to shake the hand of a brave Iraqi citizen who had his hand cut off by Saddam Hussein'

g w bush
Quote:Original post by AndreTheGiant
I don't find those quotes unexpected at all. Religion has always been used as a justification for things that would otherwise be ridiculed.

In fact, if you can show me a madman who is not under the influence of religion, then that would surprise me.

I teleported home one night; With Ron and Sid and Meg; Ron stole Meggie's heart away; And I got Sydney's leg. <> I'm blogging, emo style
Quote:Original post by jfclavette

img Kim Jong-il

Maybe not. North Korea as a Religious State

Quote:
All three countries labeled “the Axis of Evil” by President Bush in 2002 are presently religious states. Iran is of course a Shiite theocracy, while the government of formerly secularist Iraq -- to the extent it has a government at all -- is dominated by Shiite fundamentalists. North Korea has long practiced its state religion, Kim Il-songism.

According to North Korean scriptures, when the Great Leader Kim Il-song died in 1994, thousands of cranes descended from Heaven to fetch him, and his portrait appeared high in the firmament. Immediately villages and towns throughout the nation began to construct Towers of Eternal Life, the main one rising 93 meters over Kim’s mausoleum in Pyongyang. The Great Leader’s son, the Dear Leader Kim Jong-il, took power, declining to assume the title of President. The Constitution of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea restricts that title forever to the Great Leader, whom the Dear Leader has proclaimed, “will always be with us.” The Dear Leader himself was born on Mt. Paektu, the highest mountain in Korea and Manchuria long revered by Koreans as sacred and the birthplace of their nation, in 1942. (Unbelievers say he was born in 1941 in Vyatskoye, in Siberia, in the Soviet Union.) His birth in a humble log cabin brought joy to the cosmos: a double rainbow appeared over the peak, a new star rose in the heavens, and a swallow descended to herald his birth. (Thus he is called, among other monikers, the Heaven-Descended General.) When he was 32-years-old, the Workers’ Party of Korea and the people of Korea unanimously elected him their leader. When he visited Panmunjom, a fog descended to protect him from South Korean snipers, but when he was out of danger, the mist dramatically listed and glorious sunlight shone all around him . . . You get the idea.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Quote:Original post by LessBread
Quote:Original post by jfclavette

img Kim Jong-il

Maybe not. North Korea as a Religious State

Quote:
All three countries labeled “the Axis of Evil” by President Bush in 2002 are presently religious states. Iran is of course a Shiite theocracy, while the government of formerly secularist Iraq -- to the extent it has a government at all -- is dominated by Shiite fundamentalists. North Korea has long practiced its state religion, Kim Il-songism.

According to North Korean scriptures, when the Great Leader Kim Il-song died in 1994, thousands of cranes descended from Heaven to fetch him, and his portrait appeared high in the firmament. Immediately villages and towns throughout the nation began to construct Towers of Eternal Life, the main one rising 93 meters over Kim’s mausoleum in Pyongyang. The Great Leader’s son, the Dear Leader Kim Jong-il, took power, declining to assume the title of President. The Constitution of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea restricts that title forever to the Great Leader, whom the Dear Leader has proclaimed, “will always be with us.” The Dear Leader himself was born on Mt. Paektu, the highest mountain in Korea and Manchuria long revered by Koreans as sacred and the birthplace of their nation, in 1942. (Unbelievers say he was born in 1941 in Vyatskoye, in Siberia, in the Soviet Union.) His birth in a humble log cabin brought joy to the cosmos: a double rainbow appeared over the peak, a new star rose in the heavens, and a swallow descended to herald his birth. (Thus he is called, among other monikers, the Heaven-Descended General.) When he was 32-years-old, the Workers’ Party of Korea and the people of Korea unanimously elected him their leader. When he visited Panmunjom, a fog descended to protect him from South Korean snipers, but when he was out of danger, the mist dramatically listed and glorious sunlight shone all around him . . . You get the idea.

You got to admit, thats some pretty bitchin' feats he's got under his godly belt.
With love, AnonymousPosterChild
Quote:Original post by Riviera Kid
power hungry with no concern for people = evil.

also = human, no?

Now you all know why I don't like or want to be human.

People generally label things that frighten them or are perceived immoral (like the Genocide) as "inhuman". Me, I happen to think that to be "inhuman" is to be entirely the opposite. Humans in their natural state are bloodthirsty brutes. We don't have to be, we can become the opposite. We can become "inhuman" and become intelligent, thoughtful, empathetic people. Civilization itself is just wannabe inhumanity. True civilization lies beyond that.

I could go deeper, but every time I do, my friends yell at me, so I won't here. :D
Quote:Original post by zedzeek
'I'm honored to shake the hand of a brave Iraqi citizen who had his hand cut off by Saddam Hussein'

g w bush

People generally have to hands you know. Shoulda payed attention in science class mate.
Blupix Games

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement