DirectX 8.0 Books?

Started by
3 comments, last by DanTheRocker 23 years, 1 month ago
I''m currently learning DirectX from a book by Microsoft which covers DirectX 5.5. DX is written using COM, so I wasn''t initally worried because it would always be compatable. However in DX8.0, DDraw and D3D are combined into one. If i learn both separately like the book teaches them, will I be shooting myself in the foot by learning outdated info, or is there a DirectX8.0 book somewhere out there that I havn''t managed to find?
-Dan
Advertisement
G''day!

I don''t think there are any DX8 books out yet, though I think there will be a flood of them in the next couple of months. I''d try the tutorials available on the net. A number of sites are listed in the Forum FAQ, and one they left out is mine. Just click on the bright DrunkenHyena in my sig to check it out.

Stay Casual,

Ken
Drunken Hyena
Stay Casual,KenDrunken Hyena
Well, if you are learning DirectX 5 then everything you are learning is obviously outdated. There is a point to learning DirectDraw from DirectX 7, because DirectX 8 has limited 2D capabilities, but apart from that you should be learning DirectX 8 really.

Get the DX8 SDK and learn from the tutorials in it.
There is a DX 8 book coming out soon. I dont remember when but i know it is soon. Its called something like Computer Game Programing with DirectX 8 i think. Search around Amazon.com to find it.

-SirKnight

Edited by - SirKnight on March 15, 2001 1:55:58 PM
I just went and looked on Amazon.com and there is one DirectX 8 book available now, by Ian Parberry, called "Learn Computer Game Programming With DirectX 8.0" or something like that. There are no reviews yet and I haven''t read it myself, so I''m not sure how good it is, but it''s there if you want to take a chance on it. If you do, be sure to let the rest of us know if it''s worth looking into.

-Ironblayde
 Aeon Software

Down with Tiberia!
"All your women are belong to me." - Nekrophidius
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement