• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Possibility

Need help with old school C malloc

This topic is 6485 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I know C++ super well, but for my Mechanical Engineering class I need to write some code that can ONLY be compiled in pure C, no C++ So what is the equivalent of "new" and "delete" of C++ in C? Here is my code in C++ How do I do this in C?

struct POINT
{
    float x, y;
}

int main()
{
    int size;
    struct POINT *Point;

size = 5;
    Point = new POINT[size];

delete Point;

return 0;
}

I tried: Point = malloc (struct POINT[size]); Point = malloc (sizeof (struct POINT[size])); Point = malloc (sizeof size*POINT); Point = malloc (sizeof size*(struct POINT)); And I tried several other ways, but nothing is working, some of them compile, but they give me a memory fault error when I run them. I would greatly appreciate any help. Possibility P.S. Yes I bitched at the TA for making it only straight C, but he is a dumb ass ME major who knows nothing about programming.

Advertisement
There''s nothing wrong with straight C . Here''s two equivelants (one new and one malloc) in C/C++:

int *abc = new int[50];
int *def = (int *) malloc(50*sizeof(int));

And, here''s how to delocate them:

delete [] abc;
free(def);

"Finger to spiritual emptiness underlying everything." -- How a C manual referred to a "pointer to void." --Things People Said
Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!
http://www.gdarchive.net/druidgames/

Guest Anonymous Poster
to make one:

struct POINT {
float x, y;
}
int main() {
struct POINT* p;
p = (struct POINT*)malloc(sizeof(struct POINT));
return 0;
}
then you use the p->x or p->y.

I agree with the anonymous poster, but if your making an array of objects, then you do a malloc like this:
p = (struct POINT*)malloc(sizeof(struct POINT)*elements);
Where elements is how many of the objects you want.

--Cloxs (Jared Klumpp)

Thanks guys, that worked pretty well. I also have one more question about pure C, how do your right to a file?

I need to output some variable to a text file. This kind of sucks only having a C++ book

Thanks again for any help.

Possibility

FILE *fp; //File pointer

fp=fopen("filename","w"); //Write to the file "filename"

int var; //Whatever you want to write

fwrite(&var,sizeof(var),1,fp); //Im pretty sure this is right...

fclose(fp);

=======================
Game project(s):
www.fiend.cjb.net

You can also use putc() or putchar() (If I remember right, one is a macro for the other), and I think also fprintf() if you want formatted strings.

Harry.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!