What the hell is with Bittorrent

Started by
13 comments, last by Raghar 17 years, 4 months ago
The problem I've had with BT is that it severely hinders any other operation within Windows. I have a P4 2.4Ghz system, and it runs like it's my old PIII 750MHz one. The bandwidth is also severely affected. When I close BT, everything magically things are back to normal. Even when I've limited the bandwidth, the program bogs my system down tremendously. What would take under one full second to open, now takes almost 10 seconds. Good thing I rarely use that POC.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Mathachew
The problem I've had with BT is that it severely hinders any other operation within Windows. I have a P4 2.4Ghz system, and it runs like it's my old PIII 750MHz one. The bandwidth is also severely affected. When I close BT, everything magically things are back to normal. Even when I've limited the bandwidth, the program bogs my system down tremendously. What would take under one full second to open, now takes almost 10 seconds. Good thing I rarely use that POC.

Try giving uTorrent a go - very light on resources.

Forwarding a large range of ports will not help you with your BitTorrent speeds. In fact, most of the major clients now take all their incoming connections on one port, so just set it to something high (ISPs that block on a per-port basis usually have the standard BitTorrent ports shaped), forward that and get rid of all the other forwarded ports. It's a very bad idea to run for any period of time online without a firewall.
I don't understand, are you opening ports 6881-6899 in the firewall and forwarding ports 50000-65535 to your computer?
That won't help, you must redirect the ports you use in your BT client to your computer, and open THOSE SAME ports in your firewall.

for example:
- set uTorrent to work use port 50000 for incoming connections
- set your router to forwards port 50000 to your computer (your network IP)
- open port 50000 on your firewall(s)

If you run uTorrent wizard there's a button there to test if everything's ok with the port you chose, only then you should worry about other possible problems like traffic shaping.
I experience the same problems when useing utorrent. I havent completely solved it, but search around the options for things like "max connections" and play with setting them lower...
Even when downloading a torrent with, say, 12 peers and a few seeds, my client was registering over a hundred connections and choking my internet. Not sure how to fix it correctly, but look for any way to choke your clients command over your system.
Quote:Original post by Mathachew

Azureus 0.025
Firewall 0.07

Look at you HD usage and configure properly cache, and if HD is not your issue (it looks like isn't) configure properly your firewall and internet connection.

BTW I use 50 simultaneous connection at max per torrent. And 8 max simultaneous outbound connections.

When I configured Emule for people that never know anything about it, I capped max allowed connection at 150. It works.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement