DMusic MIDI Player

Started by
4 comments, last by felisandria 24 years, 4 months ago
Sorry fel,

Didn't play on my machine. That wierd circle came up and I could load a song but no noise came out. The song played fine with Windows Media Player.

I've got a Dell with one of those built in Yamaha soundcards.

As I'm sure you already know, the only trouble with MIDI in general is there's no standard for what an instrument should sound like. Sure, instrument # X is a Base Drum, but that could be any sample or even a wierd synthasized one. So QA goes to hell. Still, it's better than the days where I just used the default PC speaker-

BEEP BEEP BEEEEP BEEEEP BEEP BLOOP

-the logistical one-http://members.bellatlantic.net/~olsongt
Advertisement
Okie, let me reiterate...
This is a DirectMusic player. This means that you need DX7, and it's ALL software emulation (that being the whole point of DMusic) so it doesn't matter what your sound card is.
Also, it insists on having the sound card to itself, and I wasn't bored enough to do the checks, so if anything else is playing, wav or whatever, when you bring it up, it might not allocate the buffer right. (The checks are actually done in the DSound half of the wrapper, and I detached the DMusic wrapper from it to do this little dialog)

-fel

~ The opinions stated by this individual are the opinions of this individual and not the opinions of her company, any organization she might be part of, her parrot, or anyone else. ~
Well, actually DirectMusic came out earlier with DirectX 6.1. DM
defaults to the Microsoft Software Synthesizer which easily supports
DLS, but I would rather enumerate DM for available soundcard hardware
(even if they don't support DLS) because of speed. Software slows
everything down, including your program when playing MIDI.

Nemo

Well, DX7 estimates claim it only needs 5% of the processor.
I'm willing to give that up for my music to sound good... then again, I've been a musician most of my life. Started at age 8, which is when I started programming, ironically enough...

-fel

~ The opinions stated by this individual are the opinions of this individual and not the opinions of her company, any organization she might be part of, her parrot, or anyone else. ~
I threw together a little Direct Music MIDI player app from a sound/music wrapper I've been working on, and I thought I would post it on my domain for anyone who wants to know what their music will sound like in plain DMusic. I know that as a musician the fact that the stuff I write sounds different when I move from Cakewalk to DMusic makes me rather nervous, and this is a quick way for me to bring up what I'm working on and see how it "really" sounds.
Grab it from www.knightsvalorous.com
The app is freeware, and no, you can't have the source, so don't ask. I strongly suggest using DX7 with it.

-fel

DOH! My bad.

I'm just going through the DX7 SDK now and Direct Music is probably a lower priority than DirectPlay for me(putting it at the bottom of the list) I just read the intro paragraph, where it said MIDI and said BFD to myself. I took a look at some more documentation and DirectMusic seems alot less pointless than I originally thought .(although they could throw in .XM support)

Also a program I'm goofing around with wasn't releasing DirectSound.

Apologies all around... and I really gotta stop smokin' that crack.

-the logistical one-http://members.bellatlantic.net/~olsongt

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement