Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MrSandman666

What more effects could I do with particles?

MrSandman666    122
Hi guys! I''m working on a demo that demonstrates particle effects. I got it working and it looks pretty cool but I want more effects in it. Till now I have the standard fountain, a meteor shower (raining fireballs - really cool), some kind of orbiting comet with a widening trail and something that kinda looks like a smoke exaust. Whast else could I do? I''m looking for stand-alone-effects here. I only have some black, empty space and my particles. I thought f maybe doing some flame effects but I already have the raining fireballs and I don''t want it to look all the same. the smoke aspect (like smoke trails for rockets) is already covered by the comet. I don''t have the time to do collision detection, so I can''t do sparks that bounce off of something (the demo has to be finished by next wednesday and I''ve no idea how collision detection works). All right, let your creativity break free, thanx in advance ----------------------------- "Mr Sandman bring me a dream"

Lambik    122
You could take a look at this page, maybe you get some inspiration there.

http://freespace.virgin.net/hugo.elias/models/m_main.htm

mittens    1323
For my engine, I made some laser effects, flame, fireball, explosions, explosion rings (sorta like a shockwave effect), and a vapor trail. Are you doing these in 2d, or 3d?

mittens    1323
For my engine, I made some laser effects, flame, fireball, explosions, explosion rings (sorta like a shockwave effect), and a vapor trail. Are you doing these in 2d, or 3d?

MrSandman666    122
Well, thanx for your replies!
Actually, I am doing this in 3d (with OpenGL).

Hmmm, I guess I could do a flame that just sits there and burns or maybe I''ll have it move around or so. Flame sounds good.
I like the idea of the explosion with the shockwave. How would you go about doing that? I mean mathematicaly... How would you make the particles spread in a circular pattern on a slightly tilted plane?
And how would you do the explosions themselves? I only know sprite explosions so I have problems imagining this.

-----------------------------
"Mr Sandman bring me a dream"

S1CA    1418
Whirlpools, tornados - both water and cloud could look quite cool - with water you could add in reflectiveness and with wind you could include debris.

Bubbles can look quite nice - just a simple billboard sprite for the primitive - simulate different gasses in different liquids for different types of bubble.

If you can have multiple emitters or at least hide the emitter far away (off the top of the frustum), snow and rain are easy and can look quite nice if you combine a few global physics parameters like wind with them.

--
Simon O''''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

mittens    1323
To do the shockwave, mathematically, requires some mathematical know how (I tried to figure out my own equation for it, for about 3 days), but then I read into Andre LaMothe''s TOTWGPG, you need to use sin, and cos to make the circle-ish effect. If you need a more detailed explanation, just e-mail me.

--The Shining Knight
NovaStorm Games

omegasyphon    100
what if u mixed them like what happens when rain hits a torch and you see small steam trails appear as the water evaporates and the torch keeps burning?

mittens    1323
Nice idea... It was soooo blatently obvious, I can''t believe I never thought of that.

--The ShiningKnightDX
NovaStorm Games