Church and College

Started by
178 comments, last by fisheyel83l 17 years, 4 months ago
Quote:Original post by LachlanL
Again, I might be standing on some toes here, but there are many Christians (myself included) who believe that the explanations in the bible were given in such a way that the people of the time could understand them.

That was nice of him. Also quite convenient that the explanations in the bible are all perfectly easy for people of the time to make up, containing no hints of advanced (or even basic) scientific ideas that they were not familiar with, although it would presumably have been well within god's linguistic powers to communicate some of those ideas in ways that the people of the time could understand.

If the bible was written with such careful consideration for the understanding of the people of the time why haven't there been new editions over the years that are updated to be more understandable to later generations who know a bit more about the nature of their world?

Quote:1) No, he doesn't require people to worship him. If he did, he would be throwing lightning bolts at atheists and providing little private miracle montages for each and every person. Of course, that would invalidate freedom of choice which was clearly given to us for a reason.

Clearly given to us for a reason? It's not clear to me. It seems like the idea has only come up in relatively recent times that god has to avoid using his power in order to allow us all to enjoy our free will. If the bible is to be believed he wasn't particularly reticient about miracles or smitings in the Old Testament, and Jesus wasn't averse to the odd miracle either. It's made clear however that despite his great reluctance to provide a shred of evidence for his own existence while we're on Earth, he will punish non-believers with eternal damnation in the afterlife. That doesn't seem like a very fair deal to me.

Of course, he doesn't necessarily have to smite non-believers himself, he exhorts his followers to do the dirty work for him:
Quote:Deuteronomy 13:6-15
6 If your very own brother, or your son or daughter, or the wife you love, or your closest friend secretly entices you, saying, "Let us go and worship other gods" (gods that neither you nor your fathers have known, 7 gods of the peoples around you, whether near or far, from one end of the land to the other), 8 do not yield to him or listen to him. Show him no pity. Do not spare him or shield him. 9 You must certainly put him to death. Your hand must be the first in putting him to death, and then the hands of all the people. 10 Stone him to death, because he tried to turn you away from the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. 11 Then all Israel will hear and be afraid, and no one among you will do such an evil thing again.

12 If you hear it said about one of the towns the LORD your God is giving you to live in 13 that wicked men have arisen among you and have led the people of their town astray, saying, "Let us go and worship other gods" (gods you have not known), 14 then you must inquire, probe and investigate it thoroughly. And if it is true and it has been proved that this detestable thing has been done among you, 15 you must certainly put to the sword all who live in that town. Destroy it completely, [a] both its people and its livestock.

But should his followers shirk from the task of killing non-believers, they'll still get their comeuppance in the end:
Quote:2 Thessalonians 1:6-10
6God is just: He will pay back trouble to those who trouble you 7and give relief to you who are troubled, and to us as well. This will happen when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven in blazing fire with his powerful angels. 8He will punish those who do not know God and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. 9They will be punished with everlasting destruction and shut out from the presence of the Lord and from the majesty of his power 10on the day he comes to be glorified in his holy people and to be marveled at among all those who have believed. This includes you, because you believed our testimony to you.

So, he's not going to force us to believe (or even give us any good reason to) in our short time on earth, but he will punish us for eternity for not believing. Nice.

Quote:
2) No, he doesn't. But then, this is the same as asking "Does he hate liars?" or, "Does he hate murderers?". The bible clearly indicates that God loves the sinner, even though he hates the sin.

He's got a funny way of showing it:
Quote:Deuteronomy 28:15-68

Curses for Disobedience
15 However, if you do not obey the LORD your God and do not carefully follow all his commands and decrees I am giving you today, all these curses will come upon you and overtake you:
16 You will be cursed in the city and cursed in the country.

17 Your basket and your kneading trough will be cursed.

18 The fruit of your womb will be cursed, and the crops of your land, and the calves of your herds and the lambs of your flocks.

19 You will be cursed when you come in and cursed when you go out.

20 The LORD will send on you curses, confusion and rebuke in everything you put your hand to, until you are destroyed and come to sudden ruin because of the evil you have done in forsaking him. [a] 21 The LORD will plague you with diseases until he has destroyed you from the land you are entering to possess. 22 The LORD will strike you with wasting disease, with fever and inflammation, with scorching heat and drought, with blight and mildew, which will plague you until you perish. 23 The sky over your head will be bronze, the ground beneath you iron. 24 The LORD will turn the rain of your country into dust and powder; it will come down from the skies until you are destroyed.

25 The LORD will cause you to be defeated before your enemies. You will come at them from one direction but flee from them in seven, and you will become a thing of horror to all the kingdoms on earth. 26 Your carcasses will be food for all the birds of the air and the beasts of the earth, and there will be no one to frighten them away. 27 The LORD will afflict you with the boils of Egypt and with tumors, festering sores and the itch, from which you cannot be cured. 28 The LORD will afflict you with madness, blindness and confusion of mind. 29 At midday you will grope about like a blind man in the dark. You will be unsuccessful in everything you do; day after day you will be oppressed and robbed, with no one to rescue you.

30 You will be pledged to be married to a woman, but another will take her and ravish her. You will build a house, but you will not live in it. You will plant a vineyard, but you will not even begin to enjoy its fruit. 31 Your ox will be slaughtered before your eyes, but you will eat none of it. Your donkey will be forcibly taken from you and will not be returned. Your sheep will be given to your enemies, and no one will rescue them. 32 Your sons and daughters will be given to another nation, and you will wear out your eyes watching for them day after day, powerless to lift a hand. 33 A people that you do not know will eat what your land and labor produce, and you will have nothing but cruel oppression all your days. 34 The sights you see will drive you mad. 35 The LORD will afflict your knees and legs with painful boils that cannot be cured, spreading from the soles of your feet to the top of your head.

36 The LORD will drive you and the king you set over you to a nation unknown to you or your fathers. There you will worship other gods, gods of wood and stone. 37 You will become a thing of horror and an object of scorn and ridicule to all the nations where the LORD will drive you.

38 You will sow much seed in the field but you will harvest little, because locusts will devour it. 39 You will plant vineyards and cultivate them but you will not drink the wine or gather the grapes, because worms will eat them. 40 You will have olive trees throughout your country but you will not use the oil, because the olives will drop off. 41 You will have sons and daughters but you will not keep them, because they will go into captivity. 42 Swarms of locusts will take over all your trees and the crops of your land.

43 The alien who lives among you will rise above you higher and higher, but you will sink lower and lower. 44 He will lend to you, but you will not lend to him. He will be the head, but you will be the tail.

45 All these curses will come upon you. They will pursue you and overtake you until you are destroyed, because you did not obey the LORD your God and observe the commands and decrees he gave you. 46 They will be a sign and a wonder to you and your descendants forever. 47 Because you did not serve the LORD your God joyfully and gladly in the time of prosperity, 48 therefore in hunger and thirst, in nakedness and dire poverty, you will serve the enemies the LORD sends against you. He will put an iron yoke on your neck until he has destroyed you.

49 The LORD will bring a nation against you from far away, from the ends of the earth, like an eagle swooping down, a nation whose language you will not understand, 50 a fierce-looking nation without respect for the old or pity for the young. 51 They will devour the young of your livestock and the crops of your land until you are destroyed. They will leave you no grain, new wine or oil, nor any calves of your herds or lambs of your flocks until you are ruined. 52 They will lay siege to all the cities throughout your land until the high fortified walls in which you trust fall down. They will besiege all the cities throughout the land the LORD your God is giving you.

53 Because of the suffering that your enemy will inflict on you during the siege, you will eat the fruit of the womb, the flesh of the sons and daughters the LORD your God has given you. 54 Even the most gentle and sensitive man among you will have no compassion on his own brother or the wife he loves or his surviving children, 55 and he will not give to one of them any of the flesh of his children that he is eating. It will be all he has left because of the suffering your enemy will inflict on you during the siege of all your cities. 56 The most gentle and sensitive woman among you—so sensitive and gentle that she would not venture to touch the ground with the sole of her foot—will begrudge the husband she loves and her own son or daughter 57 the afterbirth from her womb and the children she bears. For she intends to eat them secretly during the siege and in the distress that your enemy will inflict on you in your cities.

58 If you do not carefully follow all the words of this law, which are written in this book, and do not revere this glorious and awesome name—the LORD your God- 59 the LORD will send fearful plagues on you and your descendants, harsh and prolonged disasters, and severe and lingering illnesses. 60 He will bring upon you all the diseases of Egypt that you dreaded, and they will cling to you. 61 The LORD will also bring on you every kind of sickness and disaster not recorded in this Book of the Law, until you are destroyed. 62 You who were as numerous as the stars in the sky will be left but few in number, because you did not obey the LORD your God. 63 Just as it pleased the LORD to make you prosper and increase in number, so it will please him to ruin and destroy you. You will be uprooted from the land you are entering to possess.

64 Then the LORD will scatter you among all nations, from one end of the earth to the other. There you will worship other gods—gods of wood and stone, which neither you nor your fathers have known. 65 Among those nations you will find no repose, no resting place for the sole of your foot. There the LORD will give you an anxious mind, eyes weary with longing, and a despairing heart. 66 You will live in constant suspense, filled with dread both night and day, never sure of your life. 67 In the morning you will say, "If only it were evening!" and in the evening, "If only it were morning!"-because of the terror that will fill your hearts and the sights that your eyes will see. 68 The LORD will send you back in ships to Egypt on a journey I said you should never make again. There you will offer yourselves for sale to your enemies as male and female slaves, but no one will buy you.

Quote:
3)Yes, he has moral ideas. (I'm going to leave aside "antiquated", because I'm not sure that I can reason with someone who considers the idea that harming someone for your own benefit is bad, is obsolete). I'm not going to appologise for this. Yes, the basis of my faith is a being who is more knowledgable than myself. Someone who knows what is best for me, even when this is contrary to my own inclinations.

I'm thinking of antiquated moral ideas like "You shall have no other gods before me" (why does he care, why does an omnipotent god need validation from us lowly humans?), "You shall not make for yourself a graven image.", "You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain." (again, a little insecure for the creator of the universe), "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.". I'll give him some credit for "Thou shall not murder" and "Thou shall not steal" but I honestly don't need religion to tell me those are bad.

While we're on the topic, how about these antiquated moral ideas:
Quote:Leviticus 25:44-46
44 " 'Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. 45 You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. 46 You can will them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life

Or this:

Quote:Deuteronomy 22:23-24
23 If a man happens to meet in a town a virgin pledged to be married and he sleeps with her, 24 you shall take both of them to the gate of that town and stone them to death—the girl because she was in a town and did not scream for help, and the man because he violated another man's wife. You must purge the evil from among you.

Or this:

Quote:Deuteronomy 22:28-29
28 If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, 29 he shall pay the girl's father fifty shekels of silver. [c] He must marry the girl, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives.

Quote:4) Yes, I do. Hence faith. I know it is difficult to grasp believing in the occurance of something when you weren't present to witness it. However, unless you have personally replicated every scientific experiment upon whose benefit you live and depend, then you are doing the same thing.

No, it's not the same thing. I can in principle go and test any scientific theory for myself if I doubt it. Religious faith concerns things that are either in principle untestable or that are testable but that you're not allowed to test because god doesn't like to be tested.

Game Programming Blog: www.mattnewport.com/blog

Advertisement
A great effort there Matt, I've never seen quoting scripture back at Xians make even the slightest dent. They just ignore it and keep repeating themselves, just like anything else that points out the inconsistencies of their beliefs.
Matt, I think many believers have the same questions and it's not uncommon for people to ask questions like that in my Bible study. If it's appropriate, I'll try bringing some of those questions up because I'll admit I can't refute everything you're saying ... and questions like why does god do this or that are mostly unanswerable anyway but we accept that God is just and has reasons we sometimes cannot always understand. But just know nobody has all the answers, and a big part of being a Christian in my opinion is questioning your faith and "wrestling with God", which is where the word Yis'rael, or Israel, comes from.

I really do think some of your questions are pretty obvious though. Maybe it's just my perspective ...

Quote:why haven't there been new editions over the years that are updated to be more understandable to later generations who know a bit more about the nature of their world?

That would make the Bible more believable wouldn't it? But I don't think the purpose of the Bible was to explain science. Do you?

And to your second part, it's generally accepted by Christians that the New Testament supercedes the old one. We are goverened by a new covenant through Jesus Christ and we are no longer subject to those seemingly crazy laws. It's pretty interesting to debate them though.

Quote:Original post by MidgardSerpent
A great effort there Matt, I've never seen quoting scripture back at Xians make even the slightest dent. They just ignore it and keep repeating themselves, just like anything else that points out the inconsistencies of their beliefs.

The NT covenant replaces the OT ones. So we aren't subject to those laws. How much more obvious can it get? We may sound like a broken record but it's a pretty core belief.

A more interesting question though is whether God of the NT is the same as the God of the OT.
....[size="1"]Brent Gunning
Quote:
The NT covenant replaces the OT ones. So we aren't subject to those laws. How much more obvious can it get? We may sound like a broken record but it's a pretty core belief

Maybe for your denomination this is true. That is NOT a universal belief. I've never heard that expressed by any Christian, that the rules of the old testament no longer apply. Doesn't that include the 10 commandments?
Quote:Original post by skittleo
Quote:why haven't there been new editions over the years that are updated to be more understandable to later generations who know a bit more about the nature of their world?

That would make the Bible more believable wouldn't it? But I don't think the purpose of the Bible was to explain science. Do you?

Yep, it certainly would make the bible more believable. I don't think the purpose of the bible was to explain science either, but then I don't think it's divinely inspired either. I think it's a human creation that reflects the changing society and culture of it's various human authors over many years. Given my beliefs it's not at all surprising to me that the bible is inconsistent, very geared towards the concerns of a human society thousands of years removed from our own with a very limited understanding of science and doesn't show any real foresight or foreknowledge of our modern world. I would think those things would be more surprising to someone who believes the book to be the world of an onmipotent, omniscient, inerrant supreme creator however.
Quote:
And to your second part, it's generally accepted by Christians that the New Testament supercedes the old one. We are goverened by a new covenant through Jesus Christ and we are no longer subject to those seemingly crazy laws. It's pretty interesting to debate them though.

So how does that fit with this, from the New Testament and a direct quote from Jesus:
Quote:Matthew 5:17-20
The Fulfillment of the Law
17"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.

Quote:The NT covenant replaces the OT ones. So we aren't subject to those laws. How much more obvious can it get? We may sound like a broken record but it's a pretty core belief.

Can you point to a specific passage in the bible which says that? A passage where Jesus says "I know my dad said a whole bunch of crazy stuff in part 1 but you can mostly skip over that in the second edition and just go with what I say"? Why was the old testament left more or less intact if it's now redundant? Are we supposed to believe that the old testament is like the phantom menace of religious texts, an embarassment which we don't like to talk about but keep around because the second trilogy is actually quite good?

Doesn't it seem just a bit odd that god changed his mind so radically after a few thousand years of wrath and smiting? Or that he didn't see fit to make some editorial revisions to the old testament, or at least make a clear and unequivocal statement that everyone should just throw it out?

Quote:
The NT covenant replaces the OT ones. So we aren't subject to those laws. How much more obvious can it get? We may sound like a broken record but it's a pretty core belief

Maybe for your denomination this is true. That is NOT a universal belief. I've never heard that expressed by any Christian, that the rules of the old testament no longer apply. Doesn't that include the 10 commandments?

mmm really? That's what we learned in Jewish Civ class and I always took that for granted but it wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong about something big. Come to think of it, preachy people throw around OT quotes all the time so perhaps this belief is not universal.. Either way, the ONLY way I personally can accept Christianity is to take that stance that the OT is superceded by the NT.

As for the 10 commandments, they're nice ... but I think of them more as suggestions. In the NT, a man once asked Jesus which commandment was the most important and he replied "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself." I think that pretty much sums up the core of my beliefs, and the vast majority of Christians I know.
Quote:Original post by mattnewport

Yep, it certainly would make the bible more believable. I don't think the purpose of the bible was to explain science either, but then I don't think it's divinely inspired either. I think it's a human creation that reflects the changing society and culture of it's various human authors over many years. Given my beliefs it's not at all surprising to me that the bible is inconsistent, very geared towards the concerns of a human society thousands of years removed from our own with a very limited understanding of science and doesn't show any real foresight or foreknowledge of our modern world. I would think those things would be more surprising to someone who believes the book to be the world of an onmipotent, omniscient, inerrant supreme creator however.

Well there are some who believe that certain scripture verses predicted advances in science before they even occured --- things like gravity and the earth being round --- but I am not one of them.

It's very possible, perhaps probable, that the limited explanations of science in the Bible reflected the current understanding of the world at the time. I tend to take a possibly more liberal opinion that the authors were divinely inspired not directly dictated by God. This is not a universal belief among Christians, but many do share it. If you want a more detailed explanation, I'll give one tomorrow (it's late) but hopefully that was food for thought.

Quote:

So how does that fit with this, from the New Testament and a direct quote from Jesus:
Quote:Matthew 5:17-20
The Fulfillment of the Law
17"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.

Quote:The NT covenant replaces the OT ones. So we aren't subject to those laws. How much more obvious can it get? We may sound like a broken record but it's a pretty core belief.

Can you point to a specific passage in the bible which says that? A passage where Jesus says "I know my dad said a whole bunch of crazy stuff in part 1 but you can mostly skip over that in the second edition and just go with what I say"? Why was the old testament left more or less intact if it's now redundant? Are we supposed to believe that the old testament is like the phantom menace of religious texts, an embarassment which we don't like to talk about but keep around because the second trilogy is actually quite good?

Doesn't it seem just a bit odd that god changed his mind so radically after a few thousand years of wrath and smiting? Or that he didn't see fit to make some editorial revisions to the old testament, or at least make a clear and unequivocal statement that everyone should just throw it out?

Sorry I don't know any verses offhand so I'll ask someone for their thoughts next time I meet at Bible Study. But again I've always taken that stance for granted and Christians seemingly have done so ever since the birth of Christianity.

I do know that in order for the God of the OT to match the God of the NT, there must have been justification in what God did in the OT. I don't think we'll ever know why he wiped out entire civilizations, or did this or that, if you believe it to be true, but it should be accepted that God does learn about us over time -- this goes back to Abraham. So his seemingly changing ways isn't necessarily a change in character, you know?
I tend to take a possibly more liberal opinion that the authors were divinely inspired not directly dictated by God. This is not a universal belief among Christians, but many do share it.

That seems to be a fairly common position among mainstream christians but it seems to me to be a bit of a cop out. If you no longer belive the bible is inerrant, the literal word of god, or free of contradiction and the need for interpretation then what you're left with is just picking and choosing the bits you like, ignoring the bits you don't and reinterpreting freely to support your own opinions. If you've granted yourself the authority to judge which bits of the bible to accept and which to ignore then what role does it really play for you any more? Why not just go a few steps further and decide on your own moral beliefs without reference to ancient and unreliable books?

Quote:Sorry I don't know any verses offhand so I'll ask someone for their thoughts next time I meet at Bible Study. But again I've always taken that stance for granted and Christians seemingly have done so ever since the birth of Christianity.

There seem to be quite a few christians in the US (and elsewhere in the world) who don't share your opinion that the Old Testament is no longer binding. The Old Testament is routinely quoted by conservative christians to back up their opposition to gay marriage for example.
Quote:I don't think we'll ever know why he wiped out entire civilizations, or did this or that, if you believe it to be true, but it should be accepted that God does learn about us over time -- this goes back to Abraham.

How does that fit with the idea that god is omniscient? An omniscient being can't learn over time - he knows everything there is to know at all times. The god you describe could just be a very advanced alien who created humanity as an experiment but didn't really know how it was going to turn out. That doesn't fit with the standard christian portrayal of god as omniscient and omnipotent.

Quote: More like lynched in a tree...

Either that or stoned to death.

Quote: I do not believe that evolution refutes the existence of gods.

No but it certainly refutes the sacred creation stories of the major world religions. With the first chapter shot full of holes the rest of the book seems pretty shaky.

No, it refutes common interpretations of the sacred creation stories. I have yet to see an argumentation that completely shows that (for instance) the Genesis is to be interpreted literally. C'mon, we're not C++ compilers [smile]

Now, consider the creation of Earth in the Genesis:

Quote:More complete text here
  1. And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
  2. And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.
  3. And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.
  4. And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.
  5. And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years and let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.
  6. And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.
  7. And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so.
  8. And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Now, find me an accepted scientific theory which firmly contradict this event sequence (the point about day and night is particulary interesting, since it comes only when life begin to exist; but with only rock and water, do you need a measure of time? admitedly, that's more a philosophical point of view than a scientifical one). You can place your own scientific words on each phase of the Creation: the Big Bang, planet formation, tectonic activity that lead to the creation of continents, simple life forms (mostly vegetal) that populate Earth, more complex, animal life form apparition that will in the end lead to the apparition of mankind on Earth. Did I miss something?

To me, it's more a simplified explaination than an purely invalid one.
So your argument is that atheism is a religion because atheists disagree with you when you call it a religion? So if you'd called atheism a religion and nobody had argued with you then you'd have decided it wasn't a religion after all?

No, that's not my argument.

First, religion is not exclusively tied to spirituality/faith/divinity/deities. There are non-theistic religions. There are pan-theistic religions. There are naturalistic religions, some of which are a mixture of theistic and non-theistic elements. Religion is an organizing principle for an understanding of the world. To some people, science is a religion, though their conceit in the "superiority" of their scientific method will not allow them to concede the point. I think most atheists fall under this rubric.

Quote:I thought there was a worthwhile debate to be had because I thought you were trying to justify the inclusion of atheism under some conventionally accepted definition of religion.

I thought you were a person worth debating with because you wouldn't be a slave to convention, but would look to a deeper understanding of the meanings of words and ideas. In applying a familiar term to an unfamiliar context, I can either show the context to be covered by familiar definitions of the word or show the context to bear striking similarities to other concepts covered by the word. My approach has been the latter.

I have heard a distinction made between faith and religion - interestingly, most frequently by Christians of one denomination when examining another sect or denomination that they disagree with. The argument is that religion is more permissive, and covers the doctrinal variations between various sects.

What is an idol? Can a man lay figuratively prostrate before a sports franchise? Can the game be his religion, because it preempts everything else in his life and dictates all his priorities? Your appeal to convention is highly selective, given the number of colloquial contexts in which the paraphernalia of religion are broadly applied, such as "the football gods." (Is that mere simile? Perhaps. And perhaps all I'm saying is that there are interesting parallels, to me, between atheism and certain aspects of the theisms that it decries.)

No. I think you don't like the idea that your personal conviction bears any hallmarks of religion, because of your own elitist disdain for religion as the "opiate of the masses," or whatever dismissal you would apply. And I think that you therefore refuse to consider my argument, deliberately misinterpreting it. If I classify atheism, as a belief system, as a religion, does that somehow undermine its validity in your eyes? I think your reactionism outweighs your reason.

I consider the unifying traits of all religions to be the lack of evidential proof for their axioms, and the direct influence of their axioms on the philosophical worldview and/or morality of their adherents. Both of these are true of atheism. In these ways, then, atheism is very much like a religions. That's my argument in a nutshell, condensed for your benefit.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement