Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OpenGL SUX

This topic is 6116 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

OpenGL sux. It is slow. It is slowly slow slow. It''s a bunch of crap. I made this app. It made 1 display list containing cube. No textures, bare white polygons. Then it was drawing 3 such cubes with display list rolling around on large square, white(floor 60.0f across). Simple. FPS:300. It''s OK. When I come near one of cubes: FPS 90. THIS IS HOW QUAKE3 RUNS ON MY COMPUTER FOR GOD''S SAKE(CELERON 566, voodoo3 3000 agp). That''s slow, really slow. I wondered what would the FPS be, if I was drawing q2dm1. Then I made an app, 1 display list(cube), and rendering of Wolfenstein style level size(32*21 cubes). Bare whiteness, no collision detect. FPS: 30. Then I searched the Internet for optimization techniques. I''ve tried them. Nothing improves. This is crap, it really is crap. And then I gave up, I gave up...

quote:
Original post by Spura

Bare whiteness, no collision detect. FPS: 30.

And no hidden surface removal either, most likely.

Stop whining and start learning about how to render 3D graphics. There''s a lot more to it than sending a few polygons down the OpenGL pipeline.

People might not remember what you said, or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
Mad Keith the V.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Sounds like something''s not set up right on your PC.

- Pete

P.S. That really is an ill-mannered post.

Sounds like the curse of voodoo-magic coupled with a lack of programming knowledge and (and bad drivers knowing 3dfx) has struck again.

And last time I checked, Quake3 wasnt a solid white cube game.

OpenGL rules.... 'nuff said ( but I'll continue anyway )

Did you ever wonder why Quake3 runs so well on your computer, yet your program doesn't, and they were both written in OpenGL????

It's because your program most likely has been made badly.. no offence to you or anything, but it sounds to me like you're new to OpenGL ( any experienced OpenGL programmer would know how good it is ).

You can't just add Optimisation code and expect a nice jump of 100-200 fps... if you want a program to be fast, you have to design it well from the start.. bad coding will run slow, no matter how many little fast algorithms you add..

My latest game engine ( which I am still improving on ) uses the quake3 map format, and I get from 220fps - 800fps ( yes, 800 ). It took 3 rewrites to get that kind of speed into it.
Next I'm going to rewrite it, and add networking code, then I'll rewrite it and add a scripting engine ( for virtual machines ).

The point of this is.... if you want your program to run smoothly, adding fast bits to it wont help. ALL of the code has to be well done, otherwise you will get speed issues. Try taking what you've learned from making your last program, and remake it, seeing if you can improve the code in any way... it's tedious, but you'll find out just how good OpenGL is with good programming.

~Cobra~

Edited by - Cobra on March 16, 2001 9:44:59 AM

Gasoline SUX!! It's slow slow slow!!

I made this car and filled it up with some gas, and when I took it for a spin it only made 20mph!!
My friends Ferrari is MUCH faster!!! and now I say that gasoline SUCK! and I don't even care that the Ferrari runs on gas aswell!!!

Edited by - panic on March 16, 2001 10:01:56 AM

i think Spura is frustrated like everyone (included me) was when started to learn and experiment openGL. Take your time and try the tutorial on this site, see if they''re slow too.

And believe me, buy a nvidia card if you can afford it, because voodoo aren''t so good for opengl !

good luck !

PS: by the way ... if openGL is slow ... what about DX8 ? that is a crap !

I have to admit that I rarely read such an amount of bullshit in a single thread. The original poster is very obviously a complete lamer that is to dumb to write a proper posting and is to dumb to understand that his Voodoo is not suited for OpenGL. Also, D3D is a very nice and capable API, just like OpenGL. Everyone that says D3D or OGL are bad is simply somebody that understands nothing of 3D programming. Look at Quake3 and Halo, GL & D3D8...

Tim

--------------------------
glvelocity.gamedev.net
www.gamedev.net/hosted/glvelocity

well why dont you switch to the washed up api glide from which your vodoo card is based on and program in that. since everyone knows that 3dfx cards dont handle opengl very good course you knew that or you wouldnt have posted here.

When I first clicked on this thread, I thought that it was a joke (considering that he used the work "SUX" in his thread title). It''s your video card that is at fault, it sucks. The Voodoo 5 was the only semi-decent Voodoo card, and it sucks because it has bad drivers and no T&L. Think before you post, it makes you look less unintelligent.

"Finger to spiritual emptiness underlying everything." -- How a C manual referred to a "pointer to void." --Things People Said
Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!
http://www.gdarchive.net/druidgames/

Supra - i just thought i would say ~
HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAH

i bet your feeling sooo stupid right now! lol, sorry but that is the most stupid thing to say on GameDev! Perhaps you would get away with it on a cheap chat site where people know nothing, but on GD!
well thats just stupid!

mja

mja@hetrix.com
Hetrix.com

Guest Anonymous Poster
Is it not possible that 90fps is that the card can do in a high res screen at 32 bit colors?
Obvious do not OpenGL sux if Q3 can run so fast with that card. Instead of all that nonsense could you have posted some code.

I have nothing to say after reading the texts besides:

YOU NEED TO PLAY SOME 3D GAMES AND THEN ---> SIT ---> READ ---> AND LEARN!!!
(sorry about the tough language, but thats the way you get some results!)

A piece of advice from personal experience!
I had a Voodoo3 2000 when I started learning OpenGL programming. I worked my program to an effecient 35 fps, I thought now I''m cooking! (it was a fairly comples scene with quite a few pollys, about 300 I think)
Anyway the performance was not what I wanted and I happened accross a GeForce2 MX for $139.00! I had the money so I bought it.
Without recompileing my program or anything I ended up getting a frame rate of about 500fps. I wasn''t useing any display lists or vertex arrays or anything like that at the time eather.
The moral of this story is that the only thing I know of that mixes worse then OpenGL and Voodoo is a long car ride and Exlax.

I''d also like to say loose the attitude! Theres enough butt holes in the world don''t add to there numbers.

Hey, stop bashing the voodoo drivers....(a guy on another message board I write on was one of the driver coders, he''s pretty cool... lost his job though because of that nvidia buyout.. that sucks)....

I used to use a Voodoo3. There is nothing wrong with that card, as any properly coded and optimized program will run on it just fine. I admit that the nVidia cards are faster, but the Voodoo3 is a viable card for low end machines. Even the GeForce2 chokes with brute force rendering.
As programs become more demanding, older cards will eventually become more useless. But Spura was talking about a Wolf3d clone, so its obvious to me that it''s NOT the video card thats causing the slowdown. The culprit in this situation is the rendering method. Display lists are not always faster, and like an earlier post mentioned, visibility determination doesn''t look like its even being computed.

Feel free to email me.

Dude, you don''t know Sh-t about 3D coding...that''s for sure.
I''m not sure what planet your''e from but on planet earth we sometimes say that 90FPS is okey...Then deactivate V-sync on your card and your framerate will boost up again...

You only get 300Fps with a clean rendering pipeline. As soon as you start adding things it''s more likely to go down to 90-200Fps even with very low poly count.

..Next time i''ll bring my haubitz! (What,,you lookin at me?..There''s nobody else around..)

/Ekas78

Hehe, this flame is hilarious... Anyway, your cubes are running slow for a large variety of reasons. You don''t have visiblity algorithms, and you probably have a lot of stated enabled that don''t need to be enabled slowly you down. See what happens if you turn off smooth shading and depth testing and turn on culling, that alone should give you a pretty good boost.

Hehe, this flame is hilarious... Anyway, your cubes are running slow for a large variety of reasons. You don''t have visiblity algorithms, and you probably have a lot of states enabled that don''t need to be enabled slowing you down. See what happens if you turn off smooth shading and depth testing and turn on culling, that alone should give you a pretty good boost.