OpenGL SUX

Started by
26 comments, last by Spura 23 years, 1 month ago
Spura is a fag!
That''s all there is to it.
Advertisement
I was getting my flame thrower all warmed up but then I looked at all the posts...
Everything has been said... (even that he is gay )
so I guess I''ll put it away for another day

:: Jamie Interactive ::
Dude, you don''t know Sh-t about 3D coding...that''s for sure.
I''m not sure what planet your''e from but on planet earth we sometimes say that 90FPS is okey...Then deactivate V-sync on your card and your framerate will boost up again...

You only get 300Fps with a clean rendering pipeline. As soon as you start adding things it''s more likely to go down to 90-200Fps even with very low poly count.

..Next time i''ll bring my haubitz! (What,,you lookin at me?..There''s nobody else around..)

/Ekas78

______________________________Only dead fish go with the main-stream.
Hehe, this flame is hilarious... Anyway, your cubes are running slow for a large variety of reasons. You don''t have visiblity algorithms, and you probably have a lot of stated enabled that don''t need to be enabled slowly you down. See what happens if you turn off smooth shading and depth testing and turn on culling, that alone should give you a pretty good boost.
Hehe, this flame is hilarious... Anyway, your cubes are running slow for a large variety of reasons. You don''t have visiblity algorithms, and you probably have a lot of states enabled that don''t need to be enabled slowing you down. See what happens if you turn off smooth shading and depth testing and turn on culling, that alone should give you a pretty good boost.
Maybe there''s something wrong with his PixelFormat?.... maybe he''s trying to run it in 32 bit or so... then it could be that the Microsoft GDI takes the OpenGL rendering, which of course gets pretty slow cause it''s rendered on the CPU. (that happened with my sisters Duron 800 and a Matrox G450 MAX, yep the dual head thing. Didn''t run soooo bad either, but still slower..)

OpenGL is just as fast as Direct3D.

Still I like Opengl better cause it''s supported by WinNT (my OS) and D3D isn''t. also, OGL is supported by other OS s which can really be an advantage. I''m probably an OpenGL fan, cause it''s the API I learned first (and it''s not MS, j/k

just my opinion...
cya,
Phil

Visit Rarebyte!
and no!, there are NO kangaroos in Austria (I got this questions a few times over in the states

RAW!
Visit Rarebyte! and no!, there are NO kangaroos in Austria (I got this question a few times over in the states ;) )
I also think it''s a Voodoo driver problem. I had a Banshee card and when I used the Microsoft''s OpenGL libraries, it ran on software mode, and very slow. When I got the OpenGL drivers for my card at www.glsetup.com (the drivers that use Quake III), my programs begun to run in hardware mode. Note that the Banshee renders in 16-bit mode and fullscreen.

Try this, Spura.
Good Lord that poor bastard. You guys think that flaming the hell out of him helps? Nobody really said anything useful, just displayed ogl pride.

I love OpenGL. It rox. I would almost say it is perfect, but if you all think about it for a second, it isn''t near perfect. You all talk of how great OGL is, but if it was truely a good api, it would make bsp trees for you (haha just kidding, ignore this paragraph).

You DO need to cut him some slack though. When I first learned opengl, I thought that it was so easy and that I must not have to do anything more to get great graphics. I mean hell, its so easy to do 3d! Just about 5 lines of code and poofy you have a triangle. Add another and you have animation! It was a hard day when I learned there was no easy support for loading models, or displaying levels. And hand-coding that stuff is hard! I just made my first bsp tree, and I gotta say, DAMN! It took me this long to make one of those things!

Don''t worry man, all you need is love.

L8r,
The Destiny Interactive Lead Coder,
The Rainmaker

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement