OpenGL SUX

Started by
26 comments, last by Spura 23 years ago
OpenGL sux. It is slow. It is slowly slow slow. It''s a bunch of crap. I made this app. It made 1 display list containing cube. No textures, bare white polygons. Then it was drawing 3 such cubes with display list rolling around on large square, white(floor 60.0f across). Simple. FPS:300. It''s OK. When I come near one of cubes: FPS 90. THIS IS HOW QUAKE3 RUNS ON MY COMPUTER FOR GOD''S SAKE(CELERON 566, voodoo3 3000 agp). That''s slow, really slow. I wondered what would the FPS be, if I was drawing q2dm1. Then I made an app, 1 display list(cube), and rendering of Wolfenstein style level size(32*21 cubes). Bare whiteness, no collision detect. FPS: 30. Then I searched the Internet for optimization techniques. I''ve tried them. Nothing improves. This is crap, it really is crap. And then I gave up, I gave up...
Advertisement
I wonder if the problem is opengl, or if it''s you

Bruno
quote:Original post by Spura

Bare whiteness, no collision detect. FPS: 30.

And no hidden surface removal either, most likely.

Stop whining and start learning about how to render 3D graphics. There''s a lot more to it than sending a few polygons down the OpenGL pipeline.

People might not remember what you said, or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
Mad Keith the V.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
Sounds like something''s not set up right on your PC.

- Pete

P.S. That really is an ill-mannered post.
Sounds like the curse of voodoo-magic coupled with a lack of programming knowledge and (and bad drivers knowing 3dfx) has struck again.

And last time I checked, Quake3 wasnt a solid white cube game.

-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
OpenGL rules.... 'nuff said ( but I'll continue anyway )

Did you ever wonder why Quake3 runs so well on your computer, yet your program doesn't, and they were both written in OpenGL????

It's because your program most likely has been made badly.. no offence to you or anything, but it sounds to me like you're new to OpenGL ( any experienced OpenGL programmer would know how good it is ).

You can't just add Optimisation code and expect a nice jump of 100-200 fps... if you want a program to be fast, you have to design it well from the start.. bad coding will run slow, no matter how many little fast algorithms you add..

My latest game engine ( which I am still improving on ) uses the quake3 map format, and I get from 220fps - 800fps ( yes, 800 ). It took 3 rewrites to get that kind of speed into it.
Next I'm going to rewrite it, and add networking code, then I'll rewrite it and add a scripting engine ( for virtual machines ).

The point of this is.... if you want your program to run smoothly, adding fast bits to it wont help. ALL of the code has to be well done, otherwise you will get speed issues. Try taking what you've learned from making your last program, and remake it, seeing if you can improve the code in any way... it's tedious, but you'll find out just how good OpenGL is with good programming.

~Cobra~

Edited by - Cobra on March 16, 2001 9:44:59 AM
"Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will have warmth for the rest of his life"
Gasoline SUX!! It's slow slow slow!!

I made this car and filled it up with some gas, and when I took it for a spin it only made 20mph!!
My friends Ferrari is MUCH faster!!! and now I say that gasoline SUCK! and I don't even care that the Ferrari runs on gas aswell!!!

Edited by - panic on March 16, 2001 10:01:56 AM
i think Spura is frustrated like everyone (included me) was when started to learn and experiment openGL. Take your time and try the tutorial on this site, see if they''re slow too.

And believe me, buy a nvidia card if you can afford it, because voodoo aren''t so good for opengl !

good luck !

PS: by the way ... if openGL is slow ... what about DX8 ? that is a crap !

I have to admit that I rarely read such an amount of bullshit in a single thread. The original poster is very obviously a complete lamer that is to dumb to write a proper posting and is to dumb to understand that his Voodoo is not suited for OpenGL. Also, D3D is a very nice and capable API, just like OpenGL. Everyone that says D3D or OGL are bad is simply somebody that understands nothing of 3D programming. Look at Quake3 and Halo, GL & D3D8...

Tim

--------------------------
glvelocity.gamedev.net
www.gamedev.net/hosted/glvelocity
Tim--------------------------glvelocity.gamedev.netwww.gamedev.net/hosted/glvelocity
By the way, did you know that Quake3 uses OpenGL ?

No ?

So... It seems that you can do cool (and fast) things with this "piece of crap".

You should stop blaming API you don''t know how to use.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement