Game concept research

Started by
12 comments, last by Kelly G 17 years, 3 months ago
Please read all of this post before hitting reply. I am currently working on a game project. It's not simply a case of design, build and deliver. A good third of my time has been allocated to investigation and analysis. Simply put, a ton of research, methods and planning precedes the 'fun' parts of real projects. Maybe some people enjoy research... I'm not one of those! What I ask of you is to seriously reply to my request, or not at all. It is but a questionnaire, but I require honest and accurate responses if you wish to be considered and included. I will likely post further requests if your responses are sensible. So, onto the question bit! I would like you to name the top 10 fantasy races (species) you can identify. Please do not simply read the previous poster's response to 'refresh' your memory. I'd like your unique and genuine recognition. In addition, a small description of each race's origins (such as what game, film, book they're from). If you cannot identify 10, just list as many as you can. The context of this question should cover existing worlds - please do not make up your own concepts. As a small incentive, beta-testing of this game will likely fall foremost to those persons being helpful. Final note: I have posted this on a few different relevant forums (ie other than gd.net) in order to get a wider exposure and feedback. This is not spam, and I will report back results and further information about my project if people are interested.
Advertisement
You want us to post the most commonly used races, or our favorites? Assuming the former, the top ten most commonly used are:

Elves
Brought mainstream by tolkien, who looted them from European(?) mythology.
Dwarves
Also intruduced by tolkien, who looted them this time from Norse mythology.
Goblins
Common in many mythos, but I can't give an origin.
Dragons
Used in many cultures, over many periods of time. Unsure when it first became popular in modern society, however.
Faries
Originally European, I believe, made popular through folk stories/nursery rythems/Aesyops-like fables.
Barbarians
These were actaully inspired from Norse, Celts, or simular races in history.
Humans
How great, the pride of man. We just can't resist putting ourselves in games. And why not?
Orcs
Another of tolkien's work. Again, not original but rather 're-introduced' into modern times.
Werewolves
One of the most popular/common creatures(besides dragons) that appear in games, books, and movies as an intelligent being.(Well, sometimes intelligent) I'm not aware of it's origin.
Vampires
Now were did these creeps come from? Who was twisted enough to say, 'let's have humans who drink the blood of other humans'? Oh, wait, the first vampire, Vlad/Dracula, was actually based of a real person.

Many others exist, but they aren't commonly playable or intelligent enough to have their charactors flushed out much. There is most likely a few others I'm missing, though.
Perhaps top 10 is not the best way to put it. The ten most recognised races from your experience and exposure to fantasy, be it games, films or literature.

I appreciate you posting what you think is the most common, but the nature of research is such that your list isn't the most common, but what you think is. If you got the information from an official source, please link it.

Either way, you have answered my request as I desired. Thank you for that.
Those are the ten most common that just came to me. No link or anything. I thought of lots of monsters and such, but those weren't what modern day means when it usually says 'races'. (Griffens, pheonixs, etc...) What is above is some of my knowledge, not a copy and paste deal from a site. [smile]

Glad to be of help.
Quote:Original post by Servant of the Lord
Those are the ten most common that just came to me.

I assumed so, which is exactly what I was asking, so good call :)

An interesting question. Like Servant of the Lord I'm not sure if you want my list of ten favourite fantasy races, but I'm assuming you want the ten than sprung to mind as "most used" - which isn't quite the same. Nevertheless, here's my list that I quickly wrote up (before I read Servant of the Lord's list to keep them separate). I'll post them in the order that I wrote them down in case that's important. I'm also influenced more by computer game use than fantasy literature, although I've skewed a bit towards the general at the end.

1. Elves: I'm thinking mainly of the Tolkien variety (human sized, pointy ears, tend to be tied with nature and grace) rather than the traditional helper or mischievous spirits in European folklore. Now commonly used in a large variety of fantasy settings.
  2. Dwarves: I tie all short, stocky humanoid fantasy races into this general description that are usually tied with the earth in some way (as general earth spirits, miners etc.)
  3. Orcs/Warlike goblinoids: A generic "baddie" race that's frequently used in many games as well as fantasy settings. Usually has features common with the Tolkien orc, but comes in a variety of different forms. Traits include a general sense of bloodlust and a lack of redeeming features. Often a very shallowly defined race, sadly.
  4. Dragons/Draconic races: From various sources, and comes in a variety of forms and nature based on the folklore they are based off (for example the big differences between Christian Europe era "monster" dragons and the Eastern version. Common form is a great big reptillian lizard thing, although the Chinese worm-like dragon is another common variant.
  5. Robot/Cyborg: A futuristic fantasy race. Again comes in a variety of forms, but a usual trait is a dependance on logical unemotional thinking. Can be either helpful or harmful.
  6. Undead: A lot of different forms here; probably should split this up into a variety of smaller races, as vampires, zombies and ghosts usually have different characteristics.
  7. Fey/Fairy races: The other form of "elves"; little humanoid creatures who perform tricks on people or grant mysterious powers. Can come in winged or non-winged forms. Usually shy away from people.
  8. Demonic: Destructive creates of great evil, often from another dimension.
  9. Merpeople/Water spirits: Humanoids who live under the sea. Traditionally shown with fish-like lower halves. Not as common in games though.
  10. Werepeople/shapeshifters: A variety of races that can change forms, most often between human and another animalistic form. Werewolves are the most common here.

... and that's my limit. Hope that's of some help.
First, Tolkien's Elves adn dwarves. They are copied so much that it's funny. Third, I'd say faeries of various descriptions. I like faeries, adn they seem to come up often the sorts of media I enjoy.
Fourth would have to be the archetypal fantasy badguy, the Dark wizard, whether this is a necromancer, shapeshifer, or whatever. Fantasy epics seem to need evil wizards.
Fifth, would be the good wizards, Althought these seem to be less common as primary charachters, as it is hard to explain why they don't just wipe th bad guys off the face ofthe earth with a spell. "I'm just not that powerful" works well in games and sometimes books, but not movies. Wizards are generally helper charachters, unable to advance the quest directly most of the time.
Sixth, the corollary of the evil wizard, Tolkien's orcs. whether they are goblins, urgals, morlocks, or whatever, jsut the nasties that follow the orcs in form and function. Minions of evil.
I don't have time to finish now. Maybe later.
I think its not important how many or how known. but how do you represent them. Goblins can be represented like stupid creatures whitch only like blood of normal beings or working society which is very different from "normal" human society.

Next important thing is history of this races or more important their interaction(eg. elfs dont realy like dwarves, dragons can be neutral etc..).

not to OT: well i think i cant remember races which weren't mentioned here.
well . i think Elementals can be considered race. Magic based beings (can be considered demons) representig some basic elements(fire,water(ice),earth,wind(lighting)) or combination of them. Mostly loyal to their Master.
Quote:Original post by Whitehorn
Please read all of this post before hitting reply.

I am currently working on a game project. It's not simply a case of design, build and deliver. A good third of my time has been allocated to investigation and analysis. Simply put, a ton of research, methods and planning precedes the 'fun' parts of real projects. Maybe some people enjoy research... I'm not one of those!

That's bad, it's the most enjoyable part, the programming is often just a grind.

What I ask of you is to seriously reply to my request, or not at all. It is but a questionnaire, but I require honest and accurate responses if you wish to be considered and included.

I'm CEO, Why should I want to be included. I work on few freeware projects already, AI, and creation of star/planetary system, and a high precision math library could be quite interesting. I'd guess that Christer Erickson, Caspian Prince Rychlik, Saruman, and Troll would also think twice about that.

Quote:I would like you to name the top 10 fantasy races (species) you can identify. Please do not simply read the previous poster's response to 'refresh' your memory. I'd like your unique and genuine recognition. In addition, a small description of each race's origins (such as what game, film, book they're from). If you cannot identify 10, just list as many as you can.

Do you know the difference between race and specie?
Quick look at posters shows they posted archetypes. You might be in a little problem.

Quote:As a small incentive, beta-testing of this game will likely fall foremost to those persons being helpful.

Some people here are able to find problems in UI, and design. However you'd most likely get bunch of 14 years old, that would do it for first time.

Quote:Final note: I have posted this on a few different relevant forums (ie other than gd.net) in order to get a wider exposure and feedback. This is not spam, and I will report back results and further information about my project if people are interested.

Is it your fist project? Be happy.
off the top of my head:

Humans (this is us!)Insectoids (Zerg in SC, Ants in Armor, and Bugs in Starship Troopers)HalfBreed / MutantUsually human mixed with some other creature, but other variations are posible.  Centaurs, Chimeras, Harpies     (comon mythology)  Zombie, "mutant", "the damned"  (resident evil games did these very well)Bigger than life CreaturesThese are spinoffs of real creatures.  Oliphaunt (LOTR)  Godzilla, King Kong, Giant Insects, Attack of the 50foot woman. (MOVIES!)  Titans, Giant Squid  White whale(moby dick), The Fish (old man and the sea)Fictional Creatures  Dragons   Kraken / Leviathan  Etherials  Ghost / Wraith  Spirit Guide  (lady in the lake?)  

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement