New to Graphics:Help!

Started by
6 comments, last by dmreichard 17 years, 4 months ago
Hello everyone. I wish to learn how to make my own graphics. This may sound like a foolish question but please be patient as my knowledge of graphics is zip. I want to know that if someone wants to make good graphics must they always be a great artist? I was going to get the book ,associated with gamedev, called "Game Art for Teens" but was told that you need to be able to draw well. Personally my artistic skills are non-existant. Second off what is a good book for me to start on that has sample programmings?
Advertisement
This forum is mostly for programming for graphics, if you're interested in drawing or other ways of creating art for games you'd be better off checking out the Visual Arts forum.
You want to make good graphics? Does that mean you wish to create good game content to be loaded into games such as 3D models and 2D images? Or does that mean that you wish to program a renderer that has nice graphics?

If the first is the case then the above response applys. If the later is the case then you are in the "right place" though most topics discussed here are rather advanced.

If your are interested in learning how to create simple renderings check out the tutorials at http://nehe.gamedev.net. That should get you started, then I would ask your specific learning questions in a more specific forum such as opengl or directx depending on the api you choose.

Hope that helped and good luck.
The first is the one I'm looking for.
Quote:Original post by Scipio
The first is the one I'm looking for.

ok, now we need to know if you're wanting to get into 2d or 3d? 2d being sprites and 2d type games, and 3d being.... well 3d games and such. i cna help you with 3d games, but if you want to get into 2d then someone else here should be able to help.

-------------------------Only a fool claims himself an expert
Check out this post here. The response from zer0wolf is what you are looking for I think. [smile]
3d is what I am looking for.
Yes, the post by zer0wolf I linked above is about the road to making 3d graphics. Check it out! [smile]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement