[.net] MDX or XNA

Started by
14 comments, last by Machaira 17 years, 4 months ago
Support for additional .NET languages will be added, it's just going to take some time. Whether that means using VB.NET Express or not is unknown though. There's always XNA Pro which will be released (hopefully sometime next year) and I believe uses one of the full VS editions. [grin]

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

Advertisement
Doesn't XNA also require a graphics card which supports shaders? If you want to support older graphics cards, you may want to stick with MDX.
Quote:Original post by kanato
Doesn't XNA also require a graphics card which supports shaders? If you want to support older graphics cards, you may want to stick with MDX.

XNA requires shader model 1 - that is, a GeForce 3 or later. So depends on how old your "older graphics cards" are...

That said, many of the samples and starter kits require shader model 2. You can probably edit them to take out the shader 2 stuff though.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Thanks guys I really appreciate it! Looks like I'll be going with XNA! There's lots of information. Coincidentally, I chose this yesterday, the day that the stable/release version of GSE game out, 'some things are meant to be'. :)
Quote:Original post by MachairaYou can still use XNA with Visual Studio, you just don't get the features offered in the Express IDE - the starter kits, the content pipeline functionality in the IDE, etc. Just add a reference the XNA DLLs and go.

So, what are your options without the content pipeline integration in Express ? Is there a way to manually process the assets via CLI, or must you use only standard .NET Framework calls to manually load textures ? Because I wouldn't mind going trough a few pains with the content if that meant proper refactoring support and conditionnal breakpoints.
I teleported home one night; With Ron and Sid and Meg; Ron stole Meggie's heart away; And I got Sydney's leg. <> I'm blogging, emo style
Quote:Original post by jfclavette
Quote:Original post by MachairaYou can still use XNA with Visual Studio, you just don't get the features offered in the Express IDE - the starter kits, the content pipeline functionality in the IDE, etc. Just add a reference the XNA DLLs and go.

So, what are your options without the content pipeline integration in Express ? Is there a way to manually process the assets via CLI, or must you use only standard .NET Framework calls to manually load textures ? Because I wouldn't mind going trough a few pains with the content if that meant proper refactoring support and conditionnal breakpoints.

You can compile the content manually via msbuild and use your own content manager to load them or just load the assets regularly. The former wouldn't be that difficult. Here's a couple of links that might be relevant:

Clicky 1
Clicky 2

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement