Sign in to follow this  

vb.net and xna support don't bother

This topic is 4020 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Quote:
Original post by daviangel
Well if there is still any vb.net programmers out there and planning on using directx(actually managed dx)don't bother since there is no future for it from the looks of it.
The bad news is really just for people wanting to use XNA on the XBox360 with VB.Net - What I've read suggests its a non-issue on Windows based XNA which uses the full .NET 2.0 framework.

Also, there have been a few mentions that there'll be a straight Managed Direct3D 10 officially released and people like 'Demirug' have put together MDX wrappers.

Yes, it might look a little bad for VB.NET right now but I'd be careful saying it's completely "game over" and there is no future at all [smile]

Cheers,
Jack

I have no idea why when someone can't get XNA to work for them, they throw up hands and yell "OMG NO DIRECTX!!!!". Just keep using MDX 1.1. Yes it's older, but MDX 1.1, 2.0 and XNA are all for DIrectX 9.0c. The only difference is that you can't port MDX 1.1 apps to the 360, and the syntax is different. Other then that you can do anything in MDX 1.1 you could do with XNA.

Quote:
Original post by Scet
I have no idea why when someone can't get XNA to work for them, they throw up hands and yell "OMG NO DIRECTX!!!!". Just keep using MDX 1.1. Yes it's older, but MDX 1.1, 2.0 and XNA are all for DIrectX 9.0c. The only difference is that you can't port MDX 1.1 apps to the 360, and the syntax is different. Other then that you can do anything in MDX 1.1 you could do with XNA.

Yeah it's not like I own a xbox360 anyways and DX10 is C++ only still.
I just thought microsoft was actually going to make it easier to make games and use 3D graphics in apps when they first introduced managed directx and now it looks like I'm going to have to go back to C++ which I used before but would rather not since it takes alot more work to get anything done.

Quote:
anyways and DX10 is C++ only still.
Well the latest programmable D3D10 API is technically still release-candidate quality. Vista might have hit RTM but the SDK hasn't. Therefore it's not unreasonable to expect the D3D10 side of things to still be WiP [smile]

Quote:
I just thought microsoft was actually going to make it easier to make games
Yes, I understand this is the idea behind GSE. Think about it in more commercial terms. Yes .NET covers many languages, but also consider that MS have to test their market offering against intended usage scenarios. With the CLR and .NET Framework this is easier but still non-trivial - surely it makes sense that they'll focus their time and effort on testing those combinations most likely used by developers??

Basically, all I'm trying to say is that they've not explicitly stated that other, non-C# languages will be available - just that their interpretation of the market indicates that C# is the current best and primary choice and that adding VB/F#/J#/whatever support comes later.

Quote:
3D graphics in apps when they first introduced managed directx and now it looks like I'm going to have to go back to C++ which I used before but would rather not since it takes alot more work to get anything done.
As has been posted in this thread - consider your options and you'll realise things probably aren't as terrible as they might initially appear [wink]

hth
Jack

This topic is 4020 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.