Sign in to follow this  

Cube Map Resolution and Skybox Questions

This topic is 4015 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi In Real-Time Rendering they propose 'ScreenResolution/tan(fov/2)' is the approximate texture resolution, so if I have a Field of View of 45 degrees, and the screen resolution are '1024*768', then the appropriate texture resolution would be (1024*768)/(tan(45/2)), right? Then if I wanted a square textures then I would just take the square root of the texture resolution and then I get 1378*1378. But isn't that very large or is it expected to be that large? I mean thats a lot of memory when you have to account for 5 or 6 faces. I also have some questions on when it is more appropriate to use a sky sphere/sky dome instead of a sky box. My main concern is what can't be done with a sky box, but with a sky sphere/sky dome? Most people don't really expand on the issue but just state that it all depends on what you need to do, and a for static sky a sky box is most commonly used. But what are some of the issues that arise? I imagine that having a full day-night cycle would be hard to do with a sky-box because of the movement of skies and celestial bodies, but I can't really explain it, it is just a gut feeling. I have also been searching GD and have found some answers that I have to get clarified, but a more thorough explanation of the subject would be very helpful: 1) _Darkwing_ writes in this thread: Sometimes domes can be used for low-frequency base color or to use some specific mapping effects that can't be made so simple with sky box. Questions: What is meant by low-frequency base color? What mapping effects can not be made with a sky box? 2) I once found a thread where Yann L. said something about atmospheric gradients and to properly depict them, a sky sphere/ sky dome would be needed. Can't find it now unfortunately. Questions: What are atmospheric gradients? color changes? How would one go about showing them? So if anybody can help me get wiser on the subject please do![wink] Regards

This topic is 4015 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.