Sign in to follow this  
DamnedMarine

Real Strategy Game!

DamnedMarine    122
Hi i was thinking about a turn-based strategy-game set in ancient china in which you can apply the wisdom of Sunzis Art of War http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Art_of_War What is the best way to do this gameplay-wise? I was thinking about using Terrain, Morale, Weather, Flanking for complex tactics. You also can not control single units but you just plan before a battle and then see the outcome (or order retreat) I also want to including spies, diplomatics, supply of your army(for example you can cut the supply of an opposing camp in order to weaken them) Sieges on castles need good planning, controlling the farms around the castle, building siege machines and cutting of all supply for the castle Would it be fun? I am sick of Arcade - Stragety like Warcraft3, I want real strategic depth, good planning and it should be turn based

serratemplar    1656
More than one of my friends really enjoyed Shogun, and - while a more campy example - I really enjoyed Dynasty Warriors (pick your favorite number) for similar reasons: you had only limited passive control of your troops (where you fought, they followed, and did better; how well you fought affected their morale, and thus they fought better or worse).

Definately check out Shogun.

robert4818    138
Check out any of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms games. Its been a long while since I played one and I'm sure there has been many improvements since then.

Set in ancient China,
Controls squads instead of individual units,
weather,
etc

I can agree with what you said except that a real general, although not having as much control as in a Total War or Warcraft game, could tell his soldiers what to do.

Now to make an improvement you could make it so he must send messengers with the order before it was made. Also if he was near the unit he could order it. Also unlike in Total War parts but not all of the unit could rout. Entire units wouldn't always fight or rout together. Some would run and some would fight. But in the total war games they all fight or they all run.

ID Merlin    119
Quote:
Original post by DamnedMarine
Hi
i was thinking about a turn-based strategy-game set in ancient china in which you can apply the wisdom of Sunzis Art of War
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Art_of_War
What is the best way to do this gameplay-wise?

I was thinking about using Terrain, Morale, Weather, Flanking for complex tactics.
You also can not control single units but you just plan before a battle and then see the outcome (or order retreat)
I also want to including spies, diplomatics, supply of your army(for example you can cut the supply of an opposing camp in order to weaken them)
Sieges on castles need good planning, controlling the farms around the castle, building siege machines and cutting of all supply for the castle

Would it be fun? I am sick of Arcade - Stragety like Warcraft3, I want real strategic depth, good planning and it should be turn based

Except for the Ancient China part, it sounds like the game I'm developing.

John_23    200
If the Ancient China part isn't too important I strongly reccommend looking at a game called Rome: Total War (the third game after Shogun: Total War). One of the best games I've ever played [smile]

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Since Medieval 2: Total War is out, it'd probably be better to check it. I hear it's a superior game and that AI doesn't suck as much as it does in Rome (though it's still nothing to write home about).

taby    1265
Broderbund had a game called "The Ancient Art of War" by Dave and Barry Murray, with the whole Sun-tzu spin. It might be on an abandonware site somewhere.

For the old-school Sierra geeks, Dave and Barry Murray also made the Manhunter series. :)

ID Merlin    119
Quote:
Original post by DamnedMarine
Thanks for your replies! Well the ancient China part is not that important...
Talk about the game you are developing Merlin!

http://interactivedungeon.com We're working on a strategy game, with economic and role-playing elements. My partner is an avid war gamer, so the battle system will be seriously good. (If you are old, we wrote Sword of Aragon, which is what the game is inspired by. It was published in 1989 by SSI.)

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
I am also interested in such strategy game.

What kind of books I need to read in order to design such kind of game?

Would you please to recommended some?

Thank you very much.

I appreciate it.

Codman    181
In order to design such games you should not start read a book. Instead write several papers.

"The secrets of Warcraft II", then "Improved Space Tactics" and finally, "Hero Strengths and Weaknesses"

After you finish that continue with another approach: "The Myth of a Fallen Lords", move on with "For Shogun's Honor" and finish with "Pax Romana".

After you write all those papers (not more than 4 pages each), put them on the wall, make some diagrams, design a game called "Car Washer" which plays for 15 minutes, it's damn fun and addicting, take a good breakfast, grab your best professional friend and tell him how is gonna be your next RTS.

I'm not even a bit kidding with all those.

l0calh05t    1796
You might also want to check out Ground Control, absolutely not in china, more in a distant future. It isn't turn-based but it is actually an RTT game not RTS (big difference) and it's freely available from here: http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/groundcontrol/