output to Screen Win32

Started by
5 comments, last by Aardvajk 17 years, 4 months ago
I been looking for tutorials, but trust me when I say this. I can't even understand them, lots and lots of useless stuff they keep telling me to write and its not even what I want. Anyone know how to do something like. int x = 5; cout << x; of course this wont work because its Win32
Advertisement
Depends what you want. If you want the value to appear in a pop-up dialog, use a MessageBox. If you want the value to appear in the client area of your window, you need to use TextOut() inside handling a WM_PAINT message.

Either way, you need to put your value in a string, for which you want an ostringstream:

#include <sstream>using namespace std;void f(){    ostringstream os;        int x=5;    os << x; string s=os.str();    MessageBox(Hw,s.c_str(),"Output",MB_OK);}

The above would require a non-UNICODE setting for the application BTW.
Thanks a lot, thats exactly what I needed.
"Win32" includes console apps. cout will work without any of the GUI stuff then.
-Mike
I don't want a console application, I actually want a windows application.

EasilyConfused, what you gave me won't compile, are you sure its right or is it me thats messed up?
#include <stdio.h> // For sprintf_sconst int MAX_TEXT = 100;char text [ MAX_TEXT ];int  x = 5;sprintf_s ( text, "%i", x );MessageBox ( NULL, text, "Output", MB_OK );

Also, if you're using Visual Studio, be sure to set the Character Set to Multi-Byte in your project's properties. Hope this helps.
If it won't compile, the solution is not to abandon std::stringstream and use sprintf_n. One day, MAX_TEXT will come back and bite you in the bottom.

What errors does my snippet give?

#include <string>#include <sstream>using namespace std;void f(HWND Hw) // the HWND to your main window{    ostringstream os;        int x=5;    os << x; string s=os.str();    MessageBox(Hw,s.c_str(),"Output",MB_OK);}

As Darklighter says, you need to make sure UNICODE is not enabled for your project for the above to work.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement