C++ not C#

Started by
27 comments, last by bugbear 17 years, 4 months ago
haay,, im tired... (T_T) ive changed my mind.. before i want vb.net with directX, next C#, and now C++.. do you think c++ is better?? im aiming to be a professional game programming..(what a dream!) but seriously, i really want to... but the question is HOW????? maybe, im too young for that "DirectX and C++" stuff.. haay... so,,any suggestion,,please... i don't know what to do.. i really did my best to search for tutorials but it isn't effective.. please someone help me.. please.. by the way,,XNA didnt work on my Pc.. the "SpriteBatch" thing has an error.. and i think my video card didn't meet the requirements of XNA.. so i think i'll use c++..BUT i dont know anything.. yah!! i know something but im wondering,,why is that in c++,,almost/ALL the tutorials are teaching me but the output is in console??? what's the purpose???? AHHHH!!!! i can't understand C++.. is it just im a complete damn!!.. so please help me,.. THANKS IN ADVANCE!!! -marc
Advertisement
I'm confused...what are you trying to say?

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

The tutorials start you out on the console because you need to understand the language before you can begin using APIs for graphics.

If you just blunder your way through, chopping together tutorials, you won't understand the language, and you won't understand why you have certain bugs. Take your time, practice, and make sure you understand the tutorial before you move on.
i was trying to ask if you would recommend me to study c++ with directX..

-----------------------

uhmm,so can u give me some sites that have good tutorials in C++??
what if ive finished that tutorial,,where could i find tutorials in c++ using Directx9???
in my case,, what shall i do???
i have some knowledge in programming coz i do programming in vb6 and vb.net before..

btw, thank to the two of you for your replies..
I know game programming sounds really exciting and you want to do it right away, but as one of my professors always says, "you've got to walk before you can run." Or, don't put the cart before the horse.

In other words, take your time with the C++ beginner tutorials; they're designed for beginners. Don't be discouraged that your first program outputs text to the console; being able to do this is very helpful when you're trying to debug your games.

I'm still new to all this, but what I've found helpful is to set goals for myself. For instance, if you have the time, try to complete one tutorial a day. Maybe after a month or so try to program the game of Nim on the console. My personal goal is to do one NeHe tutorial a day, typing in the code and making sure I understand it by playing with it. I hope in a month's time I'll have a basic grasp what OpenGL can/can't do and how to implement my ideas.

So, you've got to be patient.
thank for your reply,, i hope i will be successful.. haay (T_T)

for other viewers of this forum,,please post a reply.. THANKS!!!!
Aren't the requirements for DirectX the same as XNA?
XNA is a lot easier then using pure Direct X API, XNA will setup your devices, ect... You need to do this all by yourself if you use Direct X with C++, XNA only supports C# and Visual Basic.NET
____________________VB/C++/C# Programmer
Quote:Original post by Jettoz
XNA only supports C# and Visual Basic.NET
Not exactly. The XNA Framework can be used with any managed .NET language, but unless you use XNA with C# (and more importantly Visual C# Express Edition) then you lose out on certain parts of XNA that are only available through how Game Studio Express integrates with Visual C# Express.

Also, the Xbox 360 .NET runtime doesn't support some of the special things that are only in VB.NET, such as My.{...}

This may change in the future though.

As for the requirements of XNA, well it has no fixed-function pipeline so you have to have a graphics card capable of at least Shader Model 1.1. You also need the .NET Framework 2.0 and a small XNA Runtime.

Regards,
ViLiO

[Edited by - ViLiO on December 12, 2006 11:19:16 AM]
Richard 'ViLiO' Thomasv.net | Twitter | YouTube
YUP!!! you got it!! i think its the PIXEL SHADER 1.1 which i think i dont have in my video card.. so is there any way to have that pixel shader or i must really buy a new video card??

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement