Sign in to follow this  
NealC

Programming Languages Path Forward

NealC    100
What is going to be the predominate programming language in the new future (for GUI and 3D programming)? I have been using MFC, C++, and OpenGL but I am assuming Microsoft will quit supporting MFC in the future. I tried out C# a couple years ago. The .NET IDE wasn't up to snuff yet and I was not all that thrilled with the language but I am sure it has gotten better over the last 2 years. Then I discovered C# was just Microsofts replacement for Java so why use C# instead of Java. I also looked at Python and I really liked that language but I hate to spend alot of time converting my old code to a new language only to see it not supported in the future. Comments welcome.

Oluseyi    2103
Quote:
Original post by NealC
What is going to be the predominate programming language in the new future (for GUI and 3D programming)?

What is the predominant programming language of the present? If you think deeply about it, despite the prominence of C++, virtually all languages are widely employed. Which should sensitize you to the fact that a.) it's a bit of a nonsense question, and b.) it's impossible to tell which of the current generation of languages will vault to the top, if any.

Quote:
Then I discovered C# was just Microsofts replacement for Java so why use C# instead of Java.

C# is not "just Microsoft's replacement for Java."

Quote:
I also looked at Python and I really liked that language but I hate to spend alot of time converting my old code to a new language only to see it not supported in the future.

Python is nearly 15 years old. Why would it not be supported in the future?

You need better sources of information. Much better ones.

Wyrframe    2426
Well, I personally use PHP, C, and O'Caml most extensively, but I also use Lua (for scripting, shell, and standalone) and Smalltalk (the Squeak, Strongtalk, and my own implementations).

I avoid C++ like the plague because of the nonexistant template "support" and standard-library functionality that irritates how I feel things should happen. Comparitively, the C standard library works the way it looks like it should, and needs far less reference material to figure out finicky details.

I use these languages because they are what suits the job at hand, and what work best for me in those situations. Lua is easier to integrate into larger applications that Python, and I prefer its syntax; PHP is a good prototyping and basic-application authoring language which I tend to use to develop modules and prototype code before progressing to CGI C; O'Caml and Smalltalk are great high-level languages for application and algorithm development, and C... is C. It's so common and well-supported that you almost require it for anything more complicated than application development.

What'll last? C and PHP, because of how wide-spread they are. Smalltalk, because there are still crazy folk like me out there. Lua, because I don't need a community to support it; I can do that myself.

Palidine    1315
Worrying about which language is best or will reign supreme is like worrying about which gauge socket for your socket wrench is best or will reign supreme. They are each better than all the others for specific tasks. Your job as the toolmaster is to learn how to use as many as possible so you're not trying to slam a 1/4" socket onto a 3/8" bolt.

-me

daviangel    604
NealC    100
Quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
C# is not "just Microsoft's replacement for Java."

You are the one who needs a better sources of information. Put the languages side by side. It is a replacement, plain and simple!

NealC    100
Thanks to some of you for the information. It is appreciated. Looks like I will dig up my C# Petzold and Prosise books that I read when C# first came out. I started programming in C# when it first came out but the IDE debugger wasn't quite perfected yet and I was not impressed. I will look it over again.

For those that don't think past there noses should realize that some of us are not professional programmers. I do not have the time to learn multiple languages because my job is an engineer, not a programmer. Programming is the means that allows me to solve problems. I am proficient in Fortran, C, C++, Windows APIs, MFC, Matlab, and OpenGL which is a hell of alot more than 99% of the engineers in my field.

mikeman    2942
Quote:

For those that don't think past there noses should realize that some of us are not professional programmers. I do not have the time to learn multiple languages because my job is an engineer, not a programmer. Programming is the means that allows me to solve problems. I am proficient in Fortran, C, C++, Windows APIs, MFC, Matlab, and OpenGL which is a hell of alot more than 99% of the engineers in my field.

You may have a point, but there's nothing that can be done. Just as you learned at some time in the past Fortran,C and C++ you'll now have to learn C#,Python or whatever new technology rises in the future if you want to be at the top of your game. You can't expect programming to stay fixed in what you currently know because you "do not have the time to learn multiple languages".

Promit    13246
Quote:
Original post by NealC
Google "Jave C# comparision" or hit the link below

Wiki Comparison
That page pretty much disagrees directly with your claim that it's a replacement. The two languages are motivated by (sometimes fundamentally) different design goals.

NealC    100
From just this one site ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_C_Sharp_and_Java

"This page documents the strong general similarities of the languages and then points out those instances where the languages differ."

Their words, not mine.

Just FYI, 622 hits on Google for "Java C# comparison"!

NealC    100
Quote:
Original post by mikeman
Quote:

You may have a point, but there's nothing that can be done. Just as you learned at some time in the past Fortran,C and C++ you'll now have to learn C#,Python or whatever new technology rises in the future if you want to be at the top of your game. You can't expect programming to stay fixed in what you currently know because you "do not have the time to learn multiple languages".

You missed the point. I actually like learning new languages but I can't learn them all. So to make the most efficient use of my time, I want to learn the most popular/useful language(s). I rather be very proficient with just 2-3 languages instead of poorly proficient with 10-15.

daviangel    604
Quote:
Original post by NealC
Quote:
Original post by mikeman
Quote:

You missed the point. I actually like learning new languages but I can't learn them all. So to make the most efficient use of my time, I want to learn the most popular/useful language(s). I rather be very proficient with just 2-3 languages instead of poorly proficient with 10-15.

Well I'd suggest you concentrate on C# since as you probably already found out is is very similar to Java so if you already know Java it shouldn't take much of your limited time although there still are slight differences.
It'd be comparable to switching from C# to VB.NET which I do all the time. Most of the conversion is a nobrainer but every now and then you will hit a snag like language keyword differences,etc you have to watch out for.
But yeah having to learn an extra language is a drain.
That's why Petzold also mentioned on his website recently that all his future books will use C# exclusively. Some of his earlier books were also available in VB but he said the extra time to port his programs from C# to VB wasn't worth it even though it wasn't hard.
So I guess what I'm trying to say is that learning C# should be a wise investment of time.

p.s. Personally if I had 3 languages only to learn I'd go with C++,C#, and Python.