timeline of EverQuest

Started by
7 comments, last by Emmanuel Deloget 17 years, 4 months ago
i would like to know what could be the main timeline of the game like EverQuest or Warhammer (MMORPG) games? would it be 2 years 3 years ?? where technologies will be DirectX9, and torque or anyother engine, VC++6 . thanks in advance regards
Advertisement
I think you really need to clarify your question (and thread topic) because it's a bit ambigious.

Do you mean to ask "How long does a title like Everquest take to develop"? That's completely different than what you seem to be asking (it sounds like you're actually asking about the timeline of the game story itself). Games like Everquest took much longer (I assume, I haven't read many of the tech info about it) than two years to develop, you have to consider huge databases to be able to track everything and keep the worlds alive, above and beyond graphics, input, gameplay, art, etc.

As for the second part, what do you mean "where technologies will be DirectX9..."? I honestly am confused by this, do you mean to ask "If you start with GenericAPI(vX), then two years later finish when GenericAPI(vZ) is out, do you just stay with vX, or try to upgrade to vZ"? I think, for a large scale commercial project, you start with what you have available, and work from there. If the engine is open ended enough that you can fit in the lately technologies later down the line, all the better, but a good game engine should be more than just the technologies driving it. It shouldn't matter if you are a year behind in graphics or physics, because the engine itself still delivers.
Quote:Original post by xycsoscyx
I think you really need to clarify your question (and thread topic) because it's a bit ambigious.

Do you mean to ask "How long does a title like Everquest take to develop"? That's completely different than what you seem to be asking (it sounds like you're actually asking about the timeline of the game story itself). Games like Everquest took much longer (I assume, I haven't read many of the tech info about it) than two years to develop, you have to consider huge databases to be able to track everything and keep the worlds alive, above and beyond graphics, input, gameplay, art, etc.

As for the second part, what do you mean "where technologies will be DirectX9..."? I honestly am confused by this, do you mean to ask "If you start with GenericAPI(vX), then two years later finish when GenericAPI(vZ) is out, do you just stay with vX, or try to upgrade to vZ"? I think, for a large scale commercial project, you start with what you have available, and work from there. If the engine is open ended enough that you can fit in the lately technologies later down the line, all the better, but a good game engine should be more than just the technologies driving it. It shouldn't matter if you are a year behind in graphics or physics, because the engine itself still delivers.

Thanks for the reply, well yeah i was asking how much long the development time require for any a game like "everquest" or "Warhammer". But i am asking for the PC base game which will run on Windows including DirectX9 as the graphic technology. Even if i would include this Torque engine then will this addition can less the development time or not...that was the question which i was trying to ask . :)

That depends on the team size and the amount of experience the team members have.

For an unexperienced small team, it would most likely take years.

For an experienced large team, it would probably take more than a year.

If you plan at doing this alone, I can't say I see you ever finishing it, even if you use Torque.

Hope this helps.
Sirob Yes.» - status: Work-O-Rama.
Quote:Original post by sirob
That depends on the team size and the amount of experience the team members have.

If you plan at doing this alone, I can't say I see you ever finishing it, even if you use Torque.

Hope this helps.

tell me how much big team i required for unexperiance one (who never worked before on MMORPG)? if you have any guidelines which can help me for its development then please let me know.

My assumptions of the current project are.
Time frame: 1 year and 10 months aprox (day night work)
Team: minimum 17 members
Programmers: 7
3d CG artists: 4
Sketch Artists: 2
Sound engineers: 2
Game designer(Architecture):2

what u say???
Funny thing is, I'd say you have your team size backwards. It takes longer to make quality 3D models and artwork than it does (in theory) to actually program the engine. For a team unexperienced with MMORPG development, at least a couple years for a polished, high end engine. If you are just looking for something simple, then this is a different matter entirely. You'd really hae to define the scope of your project first, what are the goals, what do you want to include, how high end will it be, what are your hardware limitations and availability (servers and such). You can't really give a definitive estimate without knowing most of those things.
Sigh - another person hoping to make an MMORPG [smile]

Whilst I wish you the best of luck with your project I'd highly recommend you don't get too optimistic regarding timing. These sorts of projects are not just complex to develop but they're very complex to maintain.

I'm moving this thread to 'For Beginners' as I don't see it having any relevance to the DirectX API or technology - this seems far more general and broad...

Cheers,
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Quote:where technologies will be DirectX9, and torque or anyother engine, VC++6 .
Don't use VC6.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Quote:Original post by Wolvorine
Quote:Original post by sirob

Hope this helps.

tell me how much big team i required for unexperiance one (who never worked before on MMORPG)? if you have any guidelines which can help me for its development then please let me know.

My assumptions of the current project are.
Time frame: 1 year and 10 months aprox (day night work)
Team: minimum 17 members
Programmers: 7
3d CG artists: 4
Sketch Artists: 2
Sound engineers: 2
Game designer(Architecture):2

what u say???

Interplay just released some investor data about a possibly comming Fallout MMOG. The numbers are impressive: 3 years of development, a budget of 75,000,000$, and so on.

About your number, I believe that there's no way to produce such massive content with a such reduced team. Also, don't think you'll be able to work 1 year and 10 month without sleeping. It's going to be very hard [smile].

But everything depends on your goal - if you want to compete with established MMOGs, you'll have to spend much more than you might think (ideally, your development budget will be near 25M$, and your team will be made out of around 40 people - without managers (and don't forget managers)). You will need more artists than programmers, because there is much more content than actual programming.

Now, if you want to create a small MMOG, be aware that you'll never get a huge audience for your game. You'll have to minimize your expenses. 3 to 5 programmers should be ok, with the same number of artists. There's no need to add workforce to counterbalance the fact that most of them are not experienced programmers/artists. It will not speed up the development, and will in the end cost much more. It's better to work with 10 people during 18 month (180 salaries) than with 12 people during 16 month (192 salaries).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement